Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R15F/LBsP Super Omnibus Thread (of love)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate the support, as always, mdkd. Hope life is treating you well.

Ossu! Tuesday Takeaway is coming back around again!

Block World - G1tchmas1er7
    Questions of authorship aside, this was a nice little level. Paczek321 mentioned the assets were from one of Danx87's levels, and i thought about that; in the interest of not being overly negative, i'd like to think they followed Danx's tutorial on deco-animations and built the level from that inspiration (i've mentioned before i prefer CompherMC's tutorials, but you can't fault Danx's for not being easy to follow). Still, it could be straight theft, and that would make sad waffleking23 sad. Anyway, the level's short and sweet, and the only quibble i have is that it can be a little tough to judge safe landing points when dealing with the "bounce pads." That and there's no real indication where checkpoints are.

The Wooden Place of Creativity - trickyomicky
    This one's still down, which is a shame, because as kludgy as it was, i kind of liked it. Actually, there's nothing like a storage level on tricky's moon anymore. If i didn't have actual video footage, i'd start to doubt i'd actually ever played it. On the one hand, it's a bit of a shame to present something y'all can't actually play; on the other, it's kind of neat to lock it down in some form as "this was a thing that actually was," kind of like a historical record. Still, in the end, i do wish people would leave their levels up (this being said by someone who's taken down levels from their Earth as well...i do regret it, though).

Tena Sedre's City - AyrtonJensen1
    Not really a lot more to say about this one that we didn't say in the video. i liked the music well enough, it's got a nice pace to it. It's not really chiptune-style, that was just the first term to leap to mind when i was doing the outro. It does sound like something from NES or SNES era game, though. The race in the second half was just as dull the second time around as the first.

Simple Cardboard Platformer - FRIZZY233
    Meh...meh! i mean, at least it is a level, but it isn't even near the top ten of cardboard heavy levels we've looked at on the show. Again, there really isn't too much to say about this one that we didn't cover in the episode. i will point out that bragging about the level's shortness at the end was a bit grating to me, though; it's like "Aren't i clever? Har har."

strange temple v2 - popntwinbee
    Didn't actually play all the way through this one this time, just not enough time this morning. i wouldn't say it's overlong, but the limited material palette really allows for a big, chunky level, and popntwinbee runs with that. i liked the implementation of the secrets, though i'm still not sure why they didn't show up as found at the end when we played for the video. i think this one is a really nice example of LBP1 community level design (as opposed to LBP1 story mode level design, which i will maintain was often pants). Someone in the level reviews mentioned a different music track would have been better, but i don't know; i thought it worked out well enough.

So, that's the that. For the most part, the levels were decent enough to play, and there wasn't anything aggressively bad. On the other hand, playing through today, there really wasn't anything that knocked my socks off, either. i guess it's just a solid set of middle of the road community levels, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind you. Hope you found something here that worked for you. Thanks as always for the support, and i hope you have a great day!

Behind the Curtains Stuffs
    Got episode 020 wrapped but for the PiPs; should've had those done on Friday, but i lost 3epsiodes of Isaac to a mic screw-up (there was this horrible static going overtop the lot of them), so i had a bit of scramble going on there. i did, at least, get the levels for episode 021 recorded yesterday, so we're not entirely off-schedule.

For some reason, i had no idea Atomic Robo existed as a web-comic; my brain had always insisted it was a dead-tree format thing only. So...i'm reading that now, and it's pretty good.
    Dreams community creations look-ats at FeverdreamS
    LBP community creations look-ats at LittleBite-sizedPlanet
    Come join us for streams on Twitch too!

Comment

Nice stuff man. Enjoyed it. Well, I haven't see the video yet, but I enjoyed the writeup.

Comment

Thanks Xero! Hope you enjoy the episode as well!

Guten Morgen! Here we are, back again to do that thing that we do!

This week we're puttin' our peepers on:

Toy Towers - kLuMB-Z
        "Temple of Mr. Mad Elephant - Samait_
        The wedding's underground - SweManTwizt
        Swingin' Treetops - Chunky104
        Red Woods - Bug_Boys_2

Pretty solid set of levels this go about, hopefully something in there you'll have a good time with. As always, thanks for all the support, and i hope you're having a great day!

Just the usual two steps forward one step back type of thing, i guess. Working on episode 021, and that should be done without too much difficulty today.

Still kicking around this livestream thing for 026+, i guess we could do it late on a Wednesday night (on my end). Late Thursday would put mine up against lsrs, which i'd rather not do (and which i missed again this morning, but then, they had a bad throat again and cancelled, so that's ok). The thinking is doing the recording sometime between May 25th and May 30th which means my window for taking a day off work (if necessary) is getting smaller. If any of you folks have a day or time to suggest, let me know today or tomorrow-ish? i really appreciate it.

Finished reading the Atomic Robo series, or at least what they had up on the website. It's really good, so we repeat our recommendation from the other day.

A few weeks ago i noticed that the majority of music i own is hard, crunchy, or dark. i've got very little bouncy, chipper music. So i picked up the Splatoon2 soundtrack. i swear it's basically pure sugar for the ears. i like it well enough though, not something i need to listen to all the time, but nice to have it there when needed.

Comment

Righty-o floks, back again with the Tuesday Takeaway!

Toy Towers - kLuMB-Z
          Even knowing the layout of the level, this one still took close to half an hour to finish, so it wasn't just my stumbling around during the secondary recordings; definitely budget time for this one. i came away again enjoying the level. It's got a good mix-up of gameplay elements, but each bit is chunky enough it feels warranted. This was one of the few levels with a Toggle section that was actually a bit of a challenge, and that almost never happens. Something came up this time that did kind of irk me though. i screwed up the race at the end again, i guess i'm just not good at that type of set-piece. The issue was, this time, i screwed up enough times on the lower end of the tower, that on my fifth death, i didn't respawn at the scoreboard. Not a big problem, but that section is limited lives, so when i died again, i just died out of level. It's not a sin to have a level where the player can actually completely fail, but...after all that work, to pull the rug out right in sight of the scoreboard, while having had infinite life Checkpoints earlier in the level...that's a thing that'll make a player a wee bit salty, i think.

"Temple of Mr. Mad Elephant" - Samait_
          Not much of a change with this one. i really liked looking at the level, though i do think the materials should have been more visually distinct. The pace isn't terribad for an Oddsock level, but it does manage to keep you going in the main. Got to work on those cameras a bit, though, there's enough shake and twist in them to make me a bit sick. All in all, it's nice and short and worth a play or two.

The wedding's underground - SweManTwizt
          Playing through this go around, and i kind of wonder if this was natively made in LBP1 and then imported/published through LBP3. If not, SweManTwizt really went out of their way for the verisimilitude. There's even a section with obvious visible dissolve material. There're even really badly placed checkpoints that sometimes don't trigger when they ought. There're even bits where you should just do a jump, but because there's an open space with a candle in it in the layer back, you'll be forced onto the candle and get burnt. i'm actually not all that salty about it, but this one is very much a your mileage may vary kind of level, and, like i said in the video, i was never a huge fan of LBP1's level design in the story mode.

Swingin' Treetops [beta] - chunky104
          Nothing much changed for me this time around from when we made the episode. The lack of death when you fall in the mud was amusing the first time, but really that should've been handled by something lethal. That one checkpoint, as well, could've been better placed. Despite that, it managed to be a fairly solid grappling hook level that i didn't much mind spending a bit of time with. Having finally played Evergreen Park: Revenge of the Bubbles, can i ask why folks feel the need to cram 3d movement into levels like these? It just makes jumps awkward as all get out. i mean the levels in the adventure would've worked perfectly fine without that (in fact, some of them are rather well done), but with it, they were mostly a pain.

Red Woods - Bug_Boys_2
          Don't know why i didn't notice how deep some of the platforms were in this one...maybe i did, i know i noticed that they were grab-able. Physically the design is pretty kludgy, and the gameplay is fairly slight, but i still walked away happy with this one on account of the attention to colour and lighting. It was just nice and relaxing playing through.

So that's the that this week. Fairly well pleased with the levels this go about, nothing particularly bad, and a couple that stood out (for me at least). Hopefully there were a few in there that worked for you the same. Thanks as always for the support, and i hope you're having a great day.

i have been unforgivably lazy recently. Well, lazy in my own weird way, which is being busy with things that do need to be done, but probably don't need to be prioritized right at the moment. Which is not the best of signs, and is something i need to get on top of. But they say the first step in solving a problem is knowing you have a problem. Though...i'd like to know who this "they" is before i commit.

i did a livestream of Risk of Rain the other day, just to see how that works from the PS4 (or, i suppose, from anywhere, as i'd never done one before). It went fine enough, though the connection got lost about halfway through and i had to restart. No one showed up for it, but that was fine and expected, to be honest; doing it was pretty spur of the moment. One issue did come up, though. i was recording the footage through Share while doing the stream, and when i looked at it in Share Factory, i noticed it was just raw game footage and didn't include the comment scroll/UI. i tried poking around in the Broadcast Settings, but didn't see anything that looked related. i know when lsrs uploads their weekly streams, the UI is present in the video. Is it because i was streaming to Twitch and not to YouTube directly? i'm not sure, but it's something i need to find out before the end of next month.

Apparently my nephew subbed to my YouTube channel/Twitter account, and...i'm not entirely sure how i feel about it. i mean, my language when i play Isaac can get pretty salty (though, i think within acceptable parameters socially), and he is only 9yrs old. Also, w/r/t Twitter, it's nice being the cool uncle, but i am also the cool uncle whose interests and hobbies intersect with folks who post art and photography that is...well...i wouldn't choose to directly show to him, personally, Now, the account isn't very active on my end; i don't like or retweet all that much, but he can always just look at my feed. His mom said it was ok (they did this all without asking me, while i was at work), but to be honest, she should darn well know better. Saaa...stupid social media.

Comment

Yeah, that’s why I don’t think I’ll ever stream gameplay - language. I feel odd about other people’s first impression of me hearing me curse while playing a video game. I’m also not sure I could keep the language clean when gameplay gets intense.

It would be kinda cool to do a livestream, though. Kudos to you for giving it a try!

Comment

Thanks, i've been trying it a bit and it's been fun enough. i don't know if it's something i'll be doing it as a regular thing, or what kind of shape it'll take, but it is an excuse to play some different games as well. i'm looking forward to the mid-year stream for R15F, though i'm still not seeing how to keep the comments in the footage, i really should drop a line to Lsrs .

i'm not all that worried about using hard language on air, depending on the game i'm playing (i think that language should be set to the youngest intended audience, the audience for Isaac should be, on average, older than that for LBP, at least in my mind). It's just...i mean, my nephew's still a bit of a littl'un. Though if he can use the LBP stuff to get a headstart on English learning, i suppose that's not so bad.

Comment

Good morning, good morning! Back again for another go...and some coffee...must 'ave coffee.

This time around we're having a look at:

Card Platformer - cooper_trooper19
                Sack in Savannah - DeadDolls2015
                Two Worlds Collide - critterme
                Asylum Run - PiggyPog380
                Run of Ruins - gatods10

It's certainly a set of levels this week, you can definitely say that. None of them are exactly bad but a little bit more polish could have gone into a few of them. Still, hopefully one or two will catch your eye as something you can have a bit of fun with, yeah? Thanks as always for the support and feedback, and have a great day!

i kind of hate ShareFactory. i mean, i love ShareFactory too, because i couldn't do what i do without it. At the same time it is filled with mysteries, and it's functions and limits are oft occluded.

i got it in my head to do a LBsP, and i wanted to use some footage off the laptop, going into where we pull the levels up from. Just getting the right set up on my iPod, 'cause you need to have like a "SHAREfactory" folder with a "video" folder in it, but it can't be the "SHAREFactory(tm)" folder with "Video Clips" folder in it that the app sets up for you the first time you save on to it from the PS4. That was kind of confusing but we got there eventually.

So, i thought to try out some of my Isaac stuff processed through SF, just to see how it went. And hey, what do you know, doing it that way somehow got rid of my framerate drop problem. Gosh, would've been nice to have figured that out, i don't know, 500episodes ago? Except...like you can only load one file on at a time, even if it looks like the files you're importing are under SF's arbitrary, and displayed, limit. So, like import and render one file, put it back on the laptop, erase the raw footage, and then you can import and render another file...look, i don't know how any of that works...just typing it out and looking at it now and it looks like a bunch of gibberish.

Anyway the takeaway is it took basically all day to finally get four episodes finished, which is kind of absurd (ok, i also got a stream of Isaac done, and wrapped episode 021...way later than i should have, but still). Levels are recorded for episode 022, some of the hub set-up is done as well (but not nearly as much as i would like). We're kind of getting back on our normal production schedule, even if it's taking a little while.

i think maybe we're going to see Infinity War today, if it's not sold out, at least. That's kind of cool.

Comment

I have all my stuff on PS4 so ShareFactory is easy. I would like to figure out how to make titles that don’t have those funky, wavy letters. When did they change that? More importantly, who wants that?

Comment

Titles with funky letters? Is it the theme you're using? That'll change font selection, i know.

Comment

Originally posted by waffleking23 View Post
                      Titles with funky letters? Is it the theme you're using? That'll change font selection, i know.
                      Whatever the default is, I just type the letters for the title and then when I watch the video they waver about instead of just being static. I always forget to look into how to change that, if there is now some option somewhere buried on the tool. I use the PS4 theme and I didn’t think it used to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by katanagirl1 View Post

Whatever the default is, I just type the letters for the title and then when I watch the video they waver about instead of just being static. I always forget to look into how to change that, if there is now some option somewhere buried on the tool. I use the PS4 theme and I didn’t think it used to do that.
                        Huh, i wonder what's going on with that, then? It hasn't come up for me, but i'll keep an eye open for it.

Ossu! Happy May Day fellow labourers! Also, i guess there's a Tuesday Takeaway?

Card Platformer - cooper_trooper19
                        This one's a bit of a shame in timing, i think. Had i played it early on in the series i probably would have been a lot more impressed with it that i was. It's certainly not a bad level, mind, and it's definitely better than the rest of the levels this week; at the end of the day, though, it's not really stretching itself all that much. i think this does cement my odd allergy to angled bounce pads. It's come up before, and i've always thought it was on them, but, no, the problem is me. Though, as a counterpoint, Paczek321 got in touch to say the same thing happens to them, so...maybe?

Sack in Savannah - DeadDolls2015
                        This one's down at the moment, which is a bit of a shame. Unusually, DeadDoll2015 did leave a comment on my profile that they'd seen the episode, and they wished me luck, so maybe this is a case of "down for repairs," and we'll see it back up again in the future. i do hope so.

Two Worlds Collide - pt1 - critterme
                        Not really a heck of a lot to say about this one, it's just so extremely short. i mean, as a simple prologue, i guess it works. Though, if it were me, i'd have probably made sure i had part 2 on tap if part one was going to be this short. Then again, if it were me, It'd probably sit on my moon for years with work only being done on it intermittently until it was, eventually, tearfully, abandoned. So critterme's already got a leg up on me.

Asylum Run - piggypog380
                        This one was going to have an uphill fight with me anyways, seeing as it claims to be based on one of my favourite level sets/themes, but doesn't actually do anything with that. i do have to say in its favour that the boost boots jumps are pretty perfectly spaced, it's actually a tense little bit. i kind of have to assume jumping forward out of level was the intended method to progress the level, as there are some score bubbles in that layer...but it does seem an odd way to go about things, and the cameras don't really make it obvious. Hrmm....i wonder if you could set up a secondary camera set once the player's unlocked that velociraptor you need to get to the final area of the level. i mean, i'm sure you could do that thing, just wondering if it would be worthwhile.

Run of Ruins - gatods10
                        Another really short one here, seemed to be a bit of a week for that. Again, i think we covered this one fairly well in the episode. It's a nice enough level to look at, but not quite so nice to play. Too easy to get lost in the detail and pulled out cameras. i'd love to know what was going on with those little glitch bits that we saw. It was pretty weird, and i don't think we've seen it come up before (unless it wasn't a glitch, but was actually invisible material or something, but that'd be a pretty odd design choice). Would've been nice if there'd been a bit of build up to the end, as opposed to just having that button sitting there.

So, that's the that. Nothing really bad, but still, nothing that was really head and shoulders great. i wouldn't say not to play any of them, but if there's something more compelling in your queue, you might want to go with that first. Thanks as always for all the support, folks, and i hope you have a great day!

i did end up seeing Infinity War on Friday, it wasn'T looking like it was going to work out, but there was a sudden schedule change so, that was nice. i liked the movie a lot, and that's all i'll say about it, 'cause i'm sure there're folks who've not been to it yet.

Kind-of-sort-of stumbling back to my regular production schedule. Got episode 022 wrapped yesterday, which is a bit late, but we're getting closer. Isaac's all sorted through Thursday, which frees up a bit of time to get on episode 023, and i think i should be able to have that done by Saturday. i've got a week off coming up, so that'll help a lot. i'm a bit salty i haven't really been able to get LBsP episodes out consistently recently. There're a couple i have in mind that i want to do...next week should let me get to that. Hopefully if we get the machine running smoothly again, we'll be able to have regular weekly episodes again.

There was something else i was going to say here, but i can't for the life of me remember what it was. Something about rendering PC Isaac episodes in Share makes for a better finished product, but is kind of annoying? Maa...whatever, i'm sure it'll come back to me by Friday.

Comment

Ossu! We've got a kind of sort of update going on today.

Basically this is a repackaging of the old walk-through i did of my own YKHS Kanji Club from back in 2016. Thanks as always for the support and have a great day! Anyway, if you've seen this one before, don't feel like you've got to watch it again.

i'd been thinking of bundling this in with LBsP for awhile now, and some issues with importing files from PC to ShareFactory gave me the push. See i keep getting messages when i try to import my Isaac videos that "There is insufficient film clip storage remaining to import this file," i don't know what or where they're referring to with that, but the only project i have left sitting in SF is the footage we see here. So...yeah. i'm angling to get a real LBsP update done today, but there're six other things i also have to do, and the import issue has tossed a real monkeywrench in the works.

Comment

Actually have another quick shot coming up here (two in one day?!).

It's just a quick little look at how we're finding levels for the series, and how that's changed since we started up this whole thing. Also it was a good chance for me to see how integrating video off the laptop into video off the PS4 would work. i think it turned out relatively well. Thanks as always for all the support and i hope you have a great day!

So...i still can't seem to import my Isaac files into ShareFactory. i really don't get it; it says they should be under the size limit (generally they're half the size limit, actually), they'll load in up to 99%, and then crap out. It's really kind of frustrating. i got the files for this LBsP in, though they were all comparatively tiny. *Shrug* i dunno. i guess i'll have to stick with rendering on the laptop. Which is...maybe ok? i looked at one of the episodes i rendered through ShareFactory, and that had frame drops too. So, maybe it really is on the recording side of things? i don't hardly know.

Tried to do a quick stream on Twitch today. i set up my laptop to the side of me so i can keep an eye on the chat (not that i really expect anyone to pop in, but i want to be used to looking at two things at once for when i do the R15F stream). So, it's running normal for a couple of minutes, then it crashes out with at "If you want to see this content, you'll need a time machine" error message. The PS4 showed i was still broadcasting, so...geeze, i don't even know. i'm going to try Streaming to YouTube and see how that looks.

What a crap day. Well, i can't really say that. i did get the LBsP stuff done. i just wanted to do more, yeah?

Comment

Man, you've been through the digital wringer on this one. Sorry for your troubles. Hopefully it'll all sink up and one day it will just magically work right.

Comment

Thanks Xero, it's really not so bad, just kind of frustrating, because i don't know quite what the issues are, and i don't know enough to search for useful answers. Though, frankly, in the whole scheme of things,i'd rather have these kinds of problems than any number of others people end up with in their lives.

Ossu! It's that time again! We're coming back at you for another round!

This go about we're having a look at:

Springinator Platformer - neoraptor
                                The Neon Side - Gentleman1S3YT
                                The Missing Miners - CraftyVers3
                                Space Run - jordana2310
                                Grappling Performance - TheNavigator77

It's a pretty fun set of levels this go about, a bit of a step up from the set last week. Hopefully you'll find something that catches your eye, and that you'll have a fun time with. Thanks as always for all the support and have a great day!

Still don't know what's up with the import issue, so whatever. i seem to be good with really tiny files, which is all i might need for series mainly put together on the PS4. Eventually they'll port all the Afterbirth+ booster pack stuff to the PS4. so i won't even need to record off my laptop anymore, and that will be 100% fine.

So, i mentioned i had that problem(?) with Twitch in one of the LBsP updates yesterday. So, on a lark, i figured i'd do a quickish stream to YouTube as a test. Good news: it keeps the UI in a video file that is automatically saved on YouTube. Bad news: Video quality seems to be noticeably worse (though not terribad). Now i was broadcasting at "Standard," and there are two higher levels of quality that i can try. i worry a little about my connection there, though; one weird thing that came up was a warning notice that my connection wasn't solid enough to broadcast, even though i was clearly still broadcasting (had my laptop open next to me). That was on standard, if i try one of the higher quality ones, would the broadcast just straight cut out? Well, i still have about four weeks to figure it out.

Oh, side note about the stream to YT yesterday...of course i had my mic off the whole time. Geh...

We're about half-way through next week's R15F as of now. It's not the schedule i want to be on, but it's the best it's been in the last...almost month? With the vacation time i've got now, we should have things back on track without too much difficulty. Heck, we would have had it all sorted if i hadn't been fiddling around with the import issue, and the stream thing, and the two LBsP episodes, and the three episodes of Isaac we were up to yesterday. Crap...written out like that, i was pretty busy, wasn't i?

Play Assault Android Cactus, it's straight-up fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X