Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R15F/LBsP Super Omnibus Thread (of love)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sir monacle View Post

HeLLo!

Welp, you know what they say: When times are rough; cry.

(At least, that's what I do...)
    i suppose it's not the worst advice in the world, though, thankfully not quite necessary yet. By the by, thanks for dropping in yesterday, sorry the connection got cut right at the end, there.

Guten Morgen! It's somehow Friday again, and you know what that means!

This week we're having a look at:

Tikishore Island - SmileyJnr
    Toxic Facility - jojo4924
    Everflame Castle - CalvinTheJerk
    What lurks within - MatFluffles_2017
    Skyland Platforms - lolman22559

This was a...interesting set to record...some of the levels didn't really click until the 2nd or 3rd play (and one of them never clicked at all), so there's a bit of a disconnect between the video clips and the outro. This is why i'm so glad folks pointed out doing PiPs to me; i imagine similar situations before could have been quite confusing to viewers. Anyhow, hopefully there'll be something in there that catches your eyeballs and looks fun to play. Thanks as always for all the support, and have a great day!

Behind the Curtains Stuffs
    Now, i'm just relating purely factual information here, not doing any prognosticating trying to call down the Wrath of Entropy(tm) or anything like that. The fact remains, though, this week, and particularly yesterday, were stupidly good for production. Got next week's episode wrapped (but for the PiPs, 'natch). Got a new set kit up and ready to go for the week after (and the early get the characters, clocks, and whatnot prep done as well). The LBsP was on...Monday? Tuesday? Anyway, we did that thing too. All told, pretty darn solid.

Had a lot of fun with the stream yesterday, which was nice. The was a shocking twist at the end of our third run that would have left me pretty salty as a player, had it not been so fun as a presenter (is that what i am? i mean, i wanted two "p" words for the sentence so...whatever). Unfortunately, the connection dropped completely as we were wrapping things up. Which, thinking timing, i guess is the best time that could have happened, but is just a new thing for me to worry about. Worse, because i can't really do anything about it, as far as i know. So...fingers crossed for Saturday's Gungeon stream.

Did get a message from one of my semi-regular viewers that they'd not gotten a notification from YouTube when i'd started streaming, which is kind of bunk. At the very least we've managed to keep pretty tight to our schedule, though i know converting the time zones can be a bit of a pain. If you want to jump in, the times listed on the playlist page [Playing to an Empty Room] are pretty solid, and if they do need to change for some reason, i'll put up a quick video to explain what's going on. Anyway, if you haven't you're always welcome to drop on by. Let's make the series title semi-ironic!
    Dreams community creations look-ats at FeverdreamS
    LBP community creations look-ats at LittleBite-sizedPlanet
    Come join us for streams on Twitch too!

Comment

• Originally posted by waffleking23 View Post
      Let's make the series title semi-ironic!
      Semi-ironic because the room will be filled with furniture, right?

Comment

• There's a Belly song that has a line about a room full of chairs, but i can't remember which one it is. Not Untogether, which is fine; i was never a big fan of that particular song anyway.

Woop woop! It's Tuesday Takeaway time again!

Tikishore Island - SmileyJnr
        This was really weird. So, i picked up a key sticker when i beat the level, i guess? So when i used it, it unlocked some kind of super power-up that shoots out a blast that will blow up the watermelon bits, and put out the hot coals and lava...so basically it nerfs all the difficulties presented by the mocktail sword...that's...kind of an unusual way to go about things, it's like acknowledging the base design of the sword is poorly done? Anyways, breezing through the sword bits allowed my brain to focus on how frustrating some of the Grabinator puzzles were, so...err...success?

Toxic Facility - jojo4924
        This is a surprisingly sold first platformer, to be sure. There's a fair amount of challenge, but none of it is overwhelming. Like i said in the episode, it probably would have been better to have the level start in "easy" mode, and give the player the option to switch it to hard, instead of the other way around, but that's a minor quibble. i'd still love to know what was going on with that sinking platform, though. That was the only one of the lot with that problem, but it basically makes that obstacle impossible. Weirdsville.

Everflame Castle - CalvinTheJerk
        Yeah, so...what i said in the episode? 100times that. To be honest, if i could go back and re-record it, i'd probably give it a Red Triangle. Which is a shame, because the presentation is definitely there.

What lurks within - MatFluffles_2017
        i do like to get requests and recommendations from folks, even if i can't always accommodate them. Still, i'm always a little worried that that level will turn out to be suck, 'cause i'm going to have to be upfront about that if it's the case. Thankfully, it wasn't the case here. The level is on the short, simple side, but it's only meant to be an appetizer, so that's fine. Mat got in touch with me on YouTube and said they'd been worried the grappling was a little bit too tough...which is interesting how people gauge difficulty. i thought, personally, that the grappling could have been expanded a bit and made a bit tougher.

Skyland Platforms - lolman22559
        Perhaps not the best example of the type that we've ever looked at, but it's smooth, short, and sweet, and that has to count for something. i do wish the cameras hadn't been quite so herky-jerky, though.

So...yeah...that's the that. Certainly a weird set-list this go about, but not without merit, i think. Hopefully there's something in there that was fun for you, yeah? Thanks as always for all the support, and have a great day!

*Knowing and bitter laugh*

Comment

• Guten morgen! Guten tag! Guten nacht! Err...that's just about all the German i know right there. At least all the polite German. i really ought to learn how to do greetings in every language. Anyway, it's that time again!

This week we're having a looksee at:

Caribbean Caper - Emporuto
          Just Oiled! - SYSKNTT
          Don't Let Them In - katoregama
          Mega Walrus TSL Carrot Cake Desert - VoyakiloidMai
          Taku Taku Island! - LuJuster

This is an uncommonly good set this go about. i'm pretty sure there'll be something in here that'll catch your fancy. As always, thanks for all the feedback and support, and have a great day!

We hit 100subscribers on the 'Tube! i...have no idea when that happened, actually, since i've got email notifications turned off. Still, it's pretty neat. i was planning on doing a bonus stream today anyway, but this is as good an excuse as any.

Yesterday was...whooboy. Basically we knuckled down on production, i don't even remember how many Isaac episodes we wrapped and uploaded. Got everything but PiPs done for next week's R15F-S2, and i'm going to try to get that done in a minute. mdkd ought to like the title card for that one. i really need to get two LBsPs in today...i'm a might bit miffed i hadn't been able to get at least one done over the last week, but there're only so many hours in the day.

So, why all this, then? Well, like i think i mentioned a couple of episode's posts ago, the company's closing the schools for Obon, so i'm on vacation until the 18th. So, i'm stepping away from electronics for about a week. i've basically been in super-production mode for...well, definitely since June, when i started adding the streams; but even when it was just R15F, the learning curve to put an episode together well, generally meant the same amount of time was being used.

i don't know what i'm going to get up to. i'm wavering between a bunch of little daytrips in the area (there's an abandoned amusement park not so far from here, if i'm remembering right, and it hasn't been torn down yet), and taking a local train up to Tokyo or somewhere fairly far off, just getting off the train when i'm bored, and spend the night where ever i'm at. i suppose i could just find a mountain to hermit on, that's always a possibility.

Practically, for us, what this means is there won't be a Tuesday Takeaway, at least, not on Tuesday. Also, if i do get a scheduled LBsP, there won't be an in-thread update post. Saturday's and next Thursday's streams are off, though like i said up-post there should be a bonus stream today. Also, being basically off-grid means if you need to get in touch from tomorrow, it'll have to wait. Sorry about that.

Hopefully this won't be too much of an inconvenience; and my brainmeats will be a touch more functional come next Saturday.

Comment

• Congrats on hitting the YouTube subscriber milestone! Enjoy your time off, I can think of lots of stuff I’d like to do there!

Comment

• You mentioned an abandoned amusement park, this is like one of my all time favorite things. Abandoned places. I don't know why but I find them fascinating. Abandoned amusement parks, shops, factories, mansions, everything. I can look at pictures all day long of these places. I wish I could get out and explore some myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xerorogue View Post
                You mentioned an abandoned amusement park, this is like one of my all time favorite things. Abandoned places. I don't know why but I find them fascinating. Abandoned amusement parks, shops, factories, mansions, everything. I can look at pictures all day long of these places. I wish I could get out and explore some myself.
                i love abandoned places. My dream is still getting down to Gunkanjima and having a stroll around there, though the logistics are a bit hairy on that one.

Ossu! It's Friday, my vacation's kind of over, and we've got another shot coming 'round again!

This go about we're having a look at:

China temple plateplam - imamannn
                The Grate Twosday Escape - shearenvy
                Block by Block - niall-mag
                Creepy-Crawly Crypts - jatoquin2
                "Epic Crash Train" - FivePin3s

It's a pretty fun set this go about, though there is one of...those...levels that's gone and snuck into the mix. Ah...well, these things do happen, don't they? Hopefully you'll find something in there to your taste. Thanks, as always, for all the support and feedback, and have a great day!

So...the vacation was...well, it was mostly relaxing, so that was nice. Went with the short trips/low-impact style, mostly because i had the feeling going up to Tokyo was going to end up costing a lot, regardless of how i got up there. We went up to the abandoned amusement park, which turned out to be far less abandoned than i'd been led to believe. i don't know if it'd gone through some kind of rebirth since my friends had gone to it, or if they'd just over-sold it. It did make for a fun trip, though, and the run down bits were appropriately creepy (it helped that i'd got there before opening, and could just wander around the mostly-empty park).

One highlight was being the only person strolling around the haunted house, and it was maybe the only effective haunted house i've been to in Japan. Part of that was it being a walk-through style, and not a cart-on-tracks one. Also that the paint-job on a lot of the spooky-objects was just kind of...wrong? It felt less like walking through an old Japanese ghost story (which, i figure, was the intended effect), and more like that bit in an 80's slasher movie, where our intrepid Final Girl stumbles into the killer's house, and every thing is decorated Ed Gein. i loved it.

A big chunk of my free-time (of which there was entirely too much, to be honest) i spent re-reading my Yotsuba& collection. It was cool to notice how much more of the dialogue i could understand compared to the last time i'd done a full re-read (though, to be fair, Yotsuba is probably the easiest manga series i have). i started reading through Tekkon Kinkreet, and while that's been an easier go this time about, it's definitely more of a struggle than Yotsuba.

i walked myself mostly to exhaustion every day, which i should point out is something i actually like doing. Lots of time to think about this and that, and also i slept like the dead most every night, which i appreciated. Also that i actually tanned up a fair amount (though, i do tend to tan up relatively quickly). i look slightly less sickly than usually, not having my dead-fish-belly-white pallor. That's...good i suppose.

There might be a bonus stream today, since i'm going to be doing some production work anyway. It's good to be back, folks!

Comment

You mentioned an abandoned amusement park, this is like one of my all time favorite things. Abandoned places. I don't know why but I find them fascinating. Abandoned amusement parks, shops, factories, mansions, everything. I can look at pictures all day long of these places. I wish I could get out and explore some myself.
                  Oh yes, abandoned places!

What's not to love? You have rats, vandalised property, trespassing, homeless people, diseases, no security whatsoever, the forever-lurking fear that something might jump out at you to cause you various forms of bodily harm (my favourite, that one), and worst of all; teenagers and tourists going around the place recording this and that, all in the vain hopes of "finding a ghost".

Count me in.

Comment

Oh yes, abandoned places!

What's not to love? You have rats, vandalised property, trespassing, homeless people, diseases, no security whatsoever, the forever-lurking fear that something might jump out at you to cause you various forms of bodily harm (my favourite, that one), and worst of all; teenagers and tourists going around the place recording this and that, all in the vain hopes of "finding a ghost".

Count me in.
                    Well yeah, if you go exploring in abandoned urban areas. To heck with that. No way, no how. I like the abandoned places that are way out away from people.

Comment

Well yeah, if you go exploring in abandoned urban areas. To heck with that. No way, no how. I like the abandoned places that are way out away from people.

Just you wait for the new age industrial era, where there will be only urban areas.

Comment

Just you wait for the new age industrial era, where there will be only urban areas.
                        Well, that or overgrown wasteland, like in Neir Automata, there's always that possibility.

Ossu! Double Tuesday Takeaway today!

Caribbean Capers - Emporuto
                        It's funny, but even the creator recognizes the raft is too slow and awkward, and regrets leaving it as is. It is, that's true, but it fits in with the level, and makes diegetic sense, so there's a darned-if-you-do-darned-if-you-don't thing going on here. Like i said in the episode, i loved the visual presentation and level design of the islands. They really hit a bit of a nostalgic sweet spot for me, so i'm glad i played the level, but, truth in advertising, i didn't play the full level this morning. Neither the time, nor the patience for it.

Just Oiled! - syskntt
                        i love the heavy visual design of the level here. There's lots of movement going on in the background of the level, and when you trigger things with the oil gun. The power-up itself is mostly well-utilized throughout the level, though it is a little limited in its application. Really, there's not much to complain about with this one. Definitely give it a look.

Don't Let Them In - katoregama
                        i really wish i had the free time to really indulge with levels like this one. It takes its sweet time letting the story unfold, and gradually building out what you can do and how you interact with the level. It does have its negative points, though. Mainly the lack of checkpoints. i understand not making the level an infinite life one, that would drain a fair amount of the tension out of it. On the other hand, considering the time investment here, i can see players noping right out of taking the second chance at the level if they screw up. Maybe if they'd implemented a save/memorizer function, so progress wasn't lost? i'm really not sure how that would work.

Mega Walrus TSL - Carrot Cake Desert - VoyakiloidMai
                        i really should play this series through from the start, so i know what was going on, i suppose. i appreciate all the effort it must have taken to get all the characters and their abilities working, though it didn't seem that all of them were all that necessary, to be honest. There's not a lot of direction in the level though, so it's easy to get to areas where you throw a lot of lives away, only to find that there's no real need for whatever reward you find (usually a secret golden nugget). Also, the attack range on that worm we showed in the PiP? That was straight bs.

Taku Taku Island - Lujuster
                        This one got screwed a little, being together with four quite impressive levels that were really pushing what they could do, so it comes off looking a little lackluster. i mean, yeah, it is a little lackluster, being just a simple little platformer, like any number of others we've run into throughout the series. On the other hand, it has the benefit of being short enough to actually complete, which, in this set, was very much appreciated.

China temple plateplam - imamannn
                        You can see first time level creating written all over this one. It's fun enough for what it is, but you've got the bad cameras and overuse of collected objects that are the hallmarks we've all come to know and love. Still, it manages to be mostly functional, and only has a couple of drop out of level areas. i'll be interested in seeing how imamannn grows as a creator in the future.

The Grate Twosday Escape - shearenvy
                        No, just...just no.

Block by Block - niall-mag
                        i liked this one the third time through about as much as i did the first two times. Which is to say, quite a lot, really. i liked how each block had an isolated gameplay element, and generally really pushed that. It does mean that there's not a lot of consistency to the difficulty level, though. There is a lot of challenge, enough so that i didn't manage completing it again. Well, some day, maybe.

Creepy-Crawly Crypts - jatoquin2
                        jatoquin2 fixed the broken checkpoint! Huzzah! i don't know that that was because i pointed it out, i'm pretty sure it had come up in the level reviews previously. Still, it's nice to see problems actually get fixed for once in levels. This level is one of my favourites, i just love the little skull buddies, and the general presentation of things throughout. The difficulty and gameplay reminded me pretty strongly of early story mode levels from LBP1, and i'd like (but don't expect) to see that expanded on; more levels in the same theme but with growing difficulty each level would be pretty keen.

"Epic Crash Train" REVAMPED - FivePin3s
                        i had a good time with this one this morning, but something started to creep in on me as i was playing. Mainly, there's no real tension. On one hand, i know that having an auto-scroll at the very beginning of the level might be a lot to ask of players (especially if the difficulty is going to drop down after that), but on the other hand, even though you've got the shaking camera, you know that train's not going to drop until you get out of it. So, even through the presentation is telling you "hurry up! hurry up!" you know you can just dawdle your way through. Even though FivePin3s is going for a close match to the original, it might have been better to add an early platforming bit to get the player warmed up, and then have a more difficult cliff-/train-climbing bit after that.

So...that's the that. Hopefully there's something in the lot that you can have a good time with. Thanks as always for the support, and have a great day!

So! Freaking! Busy!

Spent Saturday, Sunday, and Monday rebuilding the Isaac backlog, which didn't need being done to quite the extent i did, but i got kind of locked in. Monday, in particular, was awful...because i was trying to get the Ultra Hard challenge, spent all morning trying to set up a winnable run, and only ended up with two episodes that i actually felt comfortable publishing (both of which were failures, of course).

Unfortunately this has meant not putting the time into R15F that i needed to. The levels for Friday's episode are recorded, so that's good, but i've hardly got the set-up done for the intro (just the early stage stuff, like changing the boards and calendar and such). Arrrg! It doesn't help that i spent a bunch of time setting up some characters, and then decided to scrap that bit of the story for now to wrap something else up instead (which will require a completely different character to be set up). Plus. i might be losing most all of Thursday (and probably all of Friday) for production so i can get some real life stuff done and.... This week's episode will be finished by Friday, but there's no way i'm going to be getting much work done on next week's. Aaaa...mouuuu...

This also means, there may be a bit of a lag until we have the breathing room to put out any LBsP episodes. Aaaa....mouuuu!

Comment

Aaaa....mouuuu!

Comment

• The "o" sound is a long one, so think "mow." Anyway, it's...an exclamation of frustration, something along the lines of "give me a break already."

*Yawn* Ohayo de gozaru! It's that time come about again!

This week we're having a go at:

The Elephant Escapade - jaylev
                            The Ivy Castle - brandonlakey
                            Pain - mangorio
                            ShortCardboard - matteovivai
                            The dead of time - bradley031

It's not a bad set-list, though we've probably had better. Doesn't help we stumbled into another one of those levels again. Two weeks in a row? Really? At any rate, hopefully you'll find something to your taste in the lot. Thanks as always for all the support and feedback, and have a great day!

Holy crow, just...last week. All of it, especially yesterday (excepting the stream, which turned out really well; thanks all y'all who showed up!), can take a long walk off a short cliff. Yesterday, at least was...clarifying. Disappointing, but clarifying.

i'm not not happy with the episode, but it was rushed. The outro turned out better than i initially felt about it, but still...i don't know. It could have been better? The title card is ambiguous, to be honest the idea came to me and i ran with it before i could really think if it was a good one or not. My preferred reading is Officer Thompson is successful in talking down our interesting coifed friend, but death of the author and all that.

There was something else i was going to say, but it's completely slipped my mind. Whee!

Comment

Holy crow, just...last week. All of it, especially yesterday, can take a long walk off a short cliff. Yesterday, at least was...clarifying. Disappointing, but clarifying.
                              Hey, I've been there before.

I'm pretty sure I was stuck there for the entire duration of the last couple of weeks.
                              Ha, guess my bad luck's finally turned!

...Onto you!

Hooray?

Comment

Hey, I've been there before.

I'm pretty sure I was stuck there for the entire duration of the last couple of weeks.
                                Ha, guess my bad luck's finally turned!

...Onto you!

Hooray?
                                Yatta!

Comment

Working...
                                X