Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R15F/LBsP Super Omnibus Thread (of love)!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R15F/LBsP Super Omnibus Thread (of love)!

Kind of went back and forth about putting this up, but since LBNetwork is kind of on the fritz... Seeing as the focus of the board is Dreams, though, i'm going to keep both series bundled up in one Omnibus thread. i know that can be a little annoying for finding posts, so if it gets to be an issue, i can start to toss episode post links here in the OP.

For those of y'all who aren't familiar, Roughly 15 Minutes Fresh and LittleBite-sizedPlanet are community level look at shows i've been putting together for a touch over a year now. R15F looks at 5 levels from LBP3, 3minutes each, once a week. There's a little bit of story at the beginning, usually under 3minutes; and around 12minutes of more in-depth looking at what i've played at the end. So one episode is usually just under or over 30minutes. LBsP looks at just one level per episode, and it can come from LBP1, 2, or 3. Same time restrictions, though there's no intro story bit, and the takeaway tends to be around 6minutes or so; so one episode is usually 10minutes max.

R15F - Season One (complete)
    R15F - Season Two (ongoing)
    LBsP (ongoing)

So, that's the gist and background. Give it a look if you like, and let me know...well...anything you think, really (also, if i'm overstepping my bounds, Mods, let me know, and i can take this down). With that out of the way, on to the meat.

Ossu! Comin' back at you with another quick one here!

LBsP Episode 043 - From Cheddar With Love..

This time around we're taking a look at From Cheddar With Love.. by CANDY_KING_ALEC

The shorthand version is this is a ripe slice of old-school love, here. A very solid level, surprising in that i think it could hold its own against a fair number of levels made in LBP2 or 3. It's not necessarily excellent, but it's definitely worth a quick runthrough. Also, it's completely functional in LBP3, which is something of a surprise. Nary a break nor a glitch that i noticed (aside for one area with slightly over-bright lighting).

Behind the Curtains Stuffs
    So.. i went and scrapped the outro for R15F - 007, which meant a lot of unnecessary work today, but i think i'm happier with the result, and it's been uploaded and set to go for tomorrow. Half-done with episode 008 as well, so we're just about back on schedule. i've not been putting together as many LBsP episodes as i'd like, but things have been kittywumpus with work recently, and i ended up losing one of my most productive day for putting things together two weeks in a row. Hopefully my bosses will cool it with all the jerking about.
    Last edited by risu5_waffles; 18th January 2018, 07:46 AM.
    LBP Community Level look-ats (and other stuffs)! R15F Season 1!, R15F Season 2!, and LittleBite-sizedPlanet!
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese language all at once? Now You can!

Yusss...is Friday! Time for another R15F Rodeo!

R15F-S2 008 - Geist

Anpanman: Baikin Castle - iwi-iwi
    Moth Garden - VilletteVillain
    Hootler's Revenge - EmperorGeno
    Return of Mr Sandman - @EnochRoot
    Cape Carnival - Robots_Shadows

Pretty fun set this time around. Of course Cape Carnival got nabbed for Level of the Day, but at least the recording got done before. Hope you find something you enjoy. Thanks for the support and feedback, as always, and have a great day!

Behind the Scenes Stuffs
    Not too much that didn't get mentioned in the LBsP post. Honeybunny's going to be super busy today, so i should be able to get episode 008 wrapped up (the recordings at the very least, if not the PiPs). Might get an LBsP in as well, but that could be pushing it a bit.
    Last edited by risu5_waffles; 18th January 2018, 10:04 PM.
    LBP Community Level look-ats (and other stuffs)! R15F Season 1!, R15F Season 2!, and LittleBite-sizedPlanet!
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese language all at once? Now You can!

Comment

Good Morning! Tuesday Takeaway time here!

Anpanman: Baikin Castle - iwi-iwi
      Meeeeeh... sometimes it's hard reviewing levels like these. Just from my own (limited) experience level building, i know how much work and effort can go into something, at first blush, looks really simple. i can respect the effort folks put into these things. But then...the end result. This one's blocky and cludgy. It's got some pace to it, but really not all that much. The enemies are only barely just, and the boss fight. Well, yeah. i can't pretend it's a good one, here; but i don't want to rag on it too hard, if you can dig it?

Moth Garden - VilletteVillain/MofoSuperVillain
      i honestly had no idea VV was actually MSV, though in retrospect, i should have noticed some of MSV's hallmarks. It's still an excellent level, and i think a very solid example of good design for the Grappling Hook. A lot of Hook levels, even when the level is mostly designed around its use, it just feels like it's there. There've only been a few i can think of off-hand where the Hook actually felt necessary, and that it added to the level (really, Superk96's Dr Monday's Nemisis from S1 - Episode 004 and EVERGREEN GRAPPLE by CB7thSun in S1 - Episode 019 are the only ones in mind at the moment). This one does a really good job of integrating the Hook Hat gameplay into the level and i appreciate that. i know i ragged a little on our little goth poet, but really, that just might be me.

Hootler's Revenge - EmperorGeno
      Not too much different this morning than i felt the last two or three times i played it. The costumes are nice, and i'm sure the logic was a real pain to put together; but the fight is just. so. sloggy.

Return of Mr Sandman - EnochRoot
      Finally got to look at something from our very own Enoch! Woot! i really liked the presentation, and i could dig on the camera work a little better this go about. The chattery teeth ate one of the kiddos i was trying to save, and that was too bad. i still think the gameplay, being a lot of flat running, made the level drag on a bit, but i'm still happy to have played it. Also, it pushed me to play the original Mr Sandman, and that was pretty cool (and varied).

Cape Carnival - Robots_Shadows
      Really glad to have gotten something from Robots_Shadows on the show, since we had to scrap a look at...i think it was Polluted Boots way back when. That time the recording wasn't clicking, and when i listened to it afterward, it just sounded like i was really tired and unhappy. This one's a really good, really solid Hero Cape level, which like the Grappling Hook, is a bit of a hen's teeth kind of thing. Not surprising that MSV served in an advisory position on this level's creation. Not too many more things to say here, but in the good way, it's just a lot of good fun.

So, that's the that for this week. Hope y'all found something fun or interesting (or hopefully fun and interesting). Thanks as always for all the support, and i hope you have a great day!

Episode 008's all done but for the PiPs, so that's cool. Levels are recorded for Episode 009, but i got it in my head to try something new for the hub (just as a one-shot), so that's added a little production time that i couldn't use for LBsP, unfortunately. Doing a pretty good job with it, though (at least as in pace of production). i'm thinking i should be able to get an LBsP up on Thursday, though.
      Life stuff...i have 8classes a day, and usually 1class time worth of break (so...9 "classes" a day, usually). Yesterday, the school i was sent to for my kind-of-boss's whimsy...4 of my classes we're empty, and i had an extra break. So basically 5hours of nothing to do. Which gave me time to work out how much setting sent to 2non-home schools a week for a month is going to cut my paycheck by somewhere around 300bucks. How we're paid is kind of complicated to explain...but basically, next month's paycheck is going to suck.
      Last edited by risu5_waffles; 22nd January 2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Ossu! Here we are and back again for...well...not a super happy episode, but a few things i wanted to get into.

Episode 044 - Requiem for LBNetwork

We're using the excellent Miasuma | Above The City by Sparky-Gaming as a backdrop for a little community chat. Mainly looking at the end of LBNetwork, and what the site meant to me, with a little bit on the segue into DreamsVerse, and a bit on what we'll be doing in the future with Dreams. It's a bit nannering, but i wanted to say something, and this is just what tumbled out of my mouth. With good timing, there may be a more standard look-at-a-level type episode coming tonight or tomorrow, but it depends on how things hash out.

Thanks to everyone who supported me at LBNetwork, i can't start to explain how big that was for me. And, thanks to all the folks supporting me everywhere else, none of that's been chump change in my books either. Y'all have the best day you can now, eh?

Comment

Ossu! Friday's come again, and that means time for another Roughly 15 Fresh!

Episode 008 - Hoarfrost

This week we're having a look at:

Foggy Platformer - Jmat919
          "In the Sky" - MarsWalls
          Death Escape - Arey100
          Breath of Fresh Color - larrylewis91
          Popit - KleineJokeeh

It's an...interesting set of levels this go around, and i had a fair amount of fun with them. Hopefully one of them will catch your fancy as well...tickle your eye? Wait, i've got those reversed, don't i? Anyhow, thanks as always for all the support, and i hope you have a great day!

i think of all the tertiary characters on the show, Officer Sommerset and Ophidia Bombastus are my favourites. Something about an Avatar of Order dating an Erisian Paladan just tickles me. Also, yes, her given name is Officer; it's a family tradition for the eldest child to get stuck with it.
          Speaking of names, i realize i've misspelled Lucretia. We'll just say her family uses an alternate spelling. Yeah, let's go with that.
          Episode 009 is half-wrapped, i would have liked to have gotten more of it done (really for the schedule it should be done but for the PiPs by now). i got wrapped up with the set-up...i think i'll never try the thing i'm doing with it again. i think it worked out about as well as it could have, but i'm not sure i'm super happy with the end result. Eh...we'll see.

Comment

Ossu! Got another little bite up for y'all!

Episode 045 - Cactus

This time we're taking a look at: Cactus by ManPetKid!

It's a tasty little morsel of LBP1-eqsue juiciness in a LBP3 package. Had a pretty fun time with it myself, but give it a go and see what you think. Thanks as always for all the support, and i hope you have a great day!

Episode 009 is done but for the PiPs, so...back on schedule, yes. Excellent...

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I'll take a look at it soon.

Comment

Thanks as always, mdkd!

Woot, it's time again for a (kind of late) Tuesday Takeaway!

Foggy Platformer - Jmat919
                The level is a lot more enjoyable once you know the "trick" of that "trampoline," that's for sure. The focus is very much on gameplay, and that's something generally up my alley (i mean, if i have to choose gameplay over environment, i'll usually swing gameplay. Though having both is best if possible). i liked the enemies with their LBP1 feel, it seems like we don't really see a lot of those any more. There's nothing here that's excessively challenging, except maybe one bit when you're going up a ladder with one of those little gator-beasties firing plasma at you. Fun enough for a diversion.

Death Escape - arey100
                Maybe this one's a metaphor for life, or something. You'll find the key you need to move on to bigger and better places, but just as you use it, you're eaten by a gribbler. That is how life works, right? i still think it's a bit odd that they went through the trouble of setting up a top-down environment, and then slapped you in a controllinator. i have a little more experience with top-down now, and it is kind of annoying to set up, but thanks to Danx87's nice tutorial it's not nearly impossible.

"In the Sky" - MarsWalls
                This level seems to be no longer available. No idea why, really.

Breath of Fresh Color - larrylewis91
                Not too much to say about this one that i didn't say in the episode. i really liked the environment; the gameplay, while simple, keeps you going at a good pace; the wall-jump bit could be a little better signposted, but it's figure-out-able. i just wish there had been just a bit more to it.

Poppit - KleineJokeeh
                This one really ended up growing on me the more i played it. The visual presentation is passable, but the focus is more on the gameplay, like in Foggy Platformer, so i can forgive it. i think the boost-boot/wall jump area could be a little better labeled, but once you've got the trick of it, it's not quite so bad. i'm not 100% sure the Grappling Hook bit was necessary, maybe it could have been re-fitted to use the Hook Hat, just so you're not working so many power-ups at the same time. Still, all in all, i ended up liking it a fair bit.

So...that's the that. Not too much changed since i made the episode, and that's fine with me. Hope you found something you had fun playing. Thanks as always for the support, and have a great day!

Episode 009 is done but for the PiPs. i scrapped and re-recorded the outro again, like with episode 008, but i think it ended up better for it. Levels are recorded for episode 010, but we haven't worked up the hub for it though. That shouldn't be so much of an issue though, since we'Re going for a more regular style hub this go about.
                We're done with Isaac dailies finally! Yay! So i can build up a backlog, and use my early mornings for something else, which is nice. i might even start walking again, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Comment

Your reviews sound fair to me.

Comment

Danke, mdkd!

This one's just a really simple one on Checkpoints, making sure they trigger, and making them distinct.

Episode 046 - [Tutorial] PSA: Checkpoint

It's probably a bit too simple for a lot of folks, and yet i still run into these kinds of issues fairly frequently. Take a look, and see if there's anything that helps, or if there's something i've significantly screwed up. Thanks for the support everyone, we may have another non-tutorial episode within the next few days or so. Have a great day!

Comment

Another two coming up today!

First round is Desert Crate Shipments Inc by zeefam, episode 047

Short story is, it's a really fun LBP1-esque bit of platforming wrapped up in LBP3 gameplay elements. There's one possibly frustrating bit, but otherwise it's well worth a look.

Second up is just a bit of series info.

Episode 048 - Series Info/LBP.me Playlist

Basically my LBP.me LBsP playlist is full up, so i'm pulling the first set of five off the top to make room at the bottom. i think i'll do this each time i get it full. Though...to think about it, maybe it would be better to do in sets of 10? Anyhow, this is just a chance to push those first five one more time, and to get their lbp.me links all in one place.

The levels in particular are:

Grind a rail! - Erik08032000
                      Heart of the Flip-side - Trindal
                      Valley of the Kings - ima-taka
                      CYBER KNIGHT - V3NTUS_R31GN3R
                      A Platformer - Woutery

They're all worth a play or two, even Grind a Rail, which i'm still not all that good at. Give 'em a go, yeah?

Thanks as always for the support, and have a great day!

Behind the Curtains Stuff
                      Got the dialogue for episode 010 wrapped up this morning, but decided to work on LbsP stuff instead of wrapping the episode. i should, should be able to get most of it done tomorrow, i think.

Comment

Ossu! Friday's come around again, and we've got another episode coming up hot and fresh!

Episode 009 - Isometric

This week, we're having a look at:

DaVinci's Flash Platformer - Dany88games (currently down)
                        Caverna - Thiag0_Neves3000
                        *Star Travel* - Hana-Momo-Nao
                        Rainy Tower - justjar95
                        sand splash! - Daemalous

It's an interesting set of levels, though for some reason DaVinci's Flash Platformer isn't up anymore, with luck it'll be back sometime soon. i hope you find something here you might find fun. Thanks as always for the support, and i hope you have a great day!

So...i made that off-hand remark last week about how it wouldn't be all that hard to kit up a top down sackthing for a level. Of course, i'd never actually done that myself, so i thought, "hey, why not try that out for the hub?" i'm...not going to do that again. The scakthings themselves weren't so hard on the basic level, i just modified Danx87's recipe a little. But getting the animators to work consistently on them was not easy at all. Sometimes their facing would be what i needed, other times they'd suddenly just flop down on their sides (or at least, it looked like that from the perspective of the camera). In the end i just settled for look-at rotators and called it a day. The real issue i had, though, was for some reason building from the top down, and moving the camera to see place things was starting to make me feel a bit sick. Big props to folks who use the style frequently, because i just don't think i could do it.

When i was a kid, i used to watch a lot of wrestling. This was back in the heyday of the 80's when most every heel was some kind of really bad ethnic stereotype. i think i started to tap out around the time of the first Iraq War, Sgt. Slaughter turning evil and teaming up with some faux-Iraqi soldiers while we were firing rockets at Baghdad. Even at 12yrs old, that felt pretty wrong.
                        i suppose "heel-in-the-ring, nice-guy-outside" is probably a cliche, but i have to imagine Wolfram and Tommy Tungsten are pretty decent people. i bet they visit hospitals to cheer up sick kids.

i've been feeling, i don't know, down-ish recently. Given which, getting the Neir Automata soundtrack was probably not my best decision, timing-wise. It's like pure, concentrated melancholy. Still, it's so good.

Comment

I remember having the same problems with the top-down level I created. Unfortunately I posted all my notes directly to LBN so I don’t have a copy and they are now all gone.

I did pick up a top-down chip from a creator rather than do it myself. Must be a bug in the LBP3 code if we both had the same issues.

Comment

I created a TopDown sackbot and I discovered that the basics are easy, but it requires a lot of side logic to make things work properly. Creating synchronized and good walking sounds is very difficult. I think I'll stick with the normal 2.5D view as well. :D

BTW I think this episode was great. The levels were interesting and I think KleineJokeeh's level wasn't looking that nice compared to her other level 'Popit'. Fun Fact: The 'Klein' in her name means small. maybe this is a german creator?

Comment

Oh wow, i didn't even think about footsteps. May be for the best, though; the way recording prioritizes voice over game sounds, i'd have to have them set at 100% volume to be audible. One funny thing i noticed was i had to use a sackbot. For some reason the rocket rotator wouldn't change my facing while in a broadcast chip (all the other mover-based movements were fine, though).

Got the outro for ep010 recorded yesterday, so that's all done but for the PiPs which basically puts me back on schedule there. Levels for 011 got wrapped this morning, as well as some of the hub set-up. i have the feeling one of the levels will get picked up for LotD or Team Pick, it's picking up plays way too fast to go unnoticed.
                              Proxima B4 got picked up for LotD maybe yesterday? It was listed this morning, but i'm 12hrs ahead. It's a good level, but i still think B3 is the best of that set. i kind of wonder who is doing the picks, how they find the levels, and what standards they're applying. i mean, they grabbed Mt.Chocolate a bit back, that one was floating under the radar for about 2years (and, in my own opinion, it's a decent level, but not particularly great).

Comment

Working...
                              X