No announcement yet.

LittleBIGPhysics: Investigating the Laws of LBP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, something like that. I didn’t really get deep into LBP logic as far as the math goes since I picked it up many years later than everyone else. I think a real 3D game will be easier logic-wise. LBP was difficult because it really only measured distances with tags within a layer and things got complicated working across layers. At least I hope Dreams will.

Comment

I can't help but feel that this is long overdue, but I assure you I'm working on these quite frequently. Anything with graphs just takes me quite a long time, unfortunately. Regardless, the newest episode, focusing on what happens when you give something a shove: link.

Comment

So it’s hard to tell from the brief section where the rocket isn’t firing, but is that part being affected by air resistance? I almost think the thruster itself is somehow defeating it. The curve of the graph should actually go downward at that point, right?

Comment

Originally posted by katanagirl1 View Post
          So it’s hard to tell from the brief section where the rocket isn’t firing, but is that part being affected by air resistance? I almost think the thruster itself is somehow defeating it. The curve of the graph should actually go downward at that point, right?
          I hadn't really thought about that, actually - my guess is that the block is moving slowly enough that the air resistance just isn't very significant. Since we know air resistance is stronger when an object is moving more quickly (hence the existence of a terminal velocity), I made the rocket really weak to minimize the force opposing the rocket's motion. Maybe I should measure the speed of a block moving unimpeded for a longer period of time, though. If the air resistance is actually gone, my guess is that it's because of the antigravity modifier (which I set to 0% damping), rather than the rocket, though.

Comment

Alright, I put katanagirl's question to the test, and here are the results in the newest episode: link.
            Last edited by PlayerPolymathic; 9th September 2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Great stuff! I look forward to the next episode.

Comment

Okay, I guess I chose the wrong time to do another longer one. A few busy weekends in a row made this take way longer than I would've liked, but rest assured that I always have this series on my to-do list. Trying to make sense of something I did months ago makes this process a lot harder, too, so I'll try to avoid having that happen again.

Until now, we've only ever looked at objects in isolation, and it's about time we start thinking about what happens when things get social and everyone's bumping into each other. Thus, our newest instalment focuses on collisions: link.

I have to admit that this is turning out a bit more realistic than I had expected. These videos are really making me appreciate some of the finer details of the engine, especially the surprise of air resistance (and by extension varying terminal velocities) being programmed into the game.

Comment

Cool

Comment

Apologies for the delay on this one - I accidentally created the perfect storm of having very little free time and having more editing to do on this video than any others, with the highest ratio of images to footage to date, not to mention a video of decent length. And to think that I was always worried about being delayed by a lack of footage; I've had footage sitting around for months without the time to edit it.

Anyways, here's the newest instalment, taking a closer look at ideas presented in the previous episode and developing the concept of forces from there: link.

Comment

Apologies for the wait (again) - I did something shorter this time to try to get it out more quickly, but there a few shifts in my schedule and wasn't able to make any meaningful progress for a long time anyways. Rest assured that I have more episodes both planned and already recorded, though.

For our newest entry in the series, we're going to take a look at what lies beyond the four walls of a level in LittleBigPlanet.

Comment

Working...
                      X