Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official PS5 Info

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusiv...t-gen-console/

The magazine Wired, just released an exclusive article with information directly from Mark Cerny, the lead system architect. Lots of good info in it, and nice to get official confirmation that it will be backwards compatible.
    • Mark Cerny is once again the Lead System Architect
    • 8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2 based on third generation Ryzen
    • Ray-tracing support with custom AMD Navi GPU
    • Custom AMD unit for 3D Audio, also aided by ray-tracing, a big upgrade
    • Extremely fast high-end custom SSD storage faster than any solution currently available for PC
    • Technically supports 8K but Cerny demoed Spider-Man load speed improvements (15s -> 0.8s) on a 4K screen
    • New Virtual Reality platform strongly hinted at but also supports current PSVR (meaning millions of VR users 'day one')
    • Death Stranding might be a cross-gen title (speculation in article based on Cerny reply)
    • Physical Media
    • Backwards Compatible with at least PS4
    • Four years in development so far
    - Formerly known as FlyingIrishMan

Sounds good to me. Pretty happy with the backwards compatibility. Might take the jump sooner than normally (I tend to wait with new generations). Especially if the extra processing power will benefit Dreams, which it probably will.

Comment

Looks like we'll see a big price drop in the PS4 Pro soon...
      ‚Äč

Comment

Looks nice except for the Raytracing support. It makes me scared that games need this implemented by Sony and games will run worse than they could without it. I'd like to see 1080p60 supported on consoles as well. Seems like they could perhaps do it. The Ryzen chips are really strong and powerful. A 8 core cpu might be a little overkill, 6 cores are fine as well, but good choice for the future.

Comment

Working...
        X