X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation VR

Howdy Dreamers!

so this thread is for Playstation VR!

it appears it isn't going away anytime soon, since they keep announcing new games all the time.

this is where you can tell us about your VR experiences, keep us up to date on new VR games coming our way and find out from other Dreamers what VR games are worth checking out!

what games have you played and can you commend them?
    do you have any tips of keeping your pets from chewing on all the cables while you are in VR land?
    do you get dizzy while playing? what is your remedy? (i sometimes have to lay down and rest after some games)
    do you prefer using the move controllers or the dualshock while playing VR games?

this is the place to tell us your stories!

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

A long time ago...in a universe not so far away, I was a young lad happily living on my Aunt and Uncles small farming homestead on the planet Tatoo-dimension-ine ...when a raggedy stranger dropped out of the sky with two droids...
    OldB-coli-wan-Kenobi, for it was he asked "Have you had heard of the 3D force?" ...next thing I know one of his droids PS-VR squats on my head while the other switched into PS camera mode...."Use the pickle Enoch!" said b-coli and a whole new universe of possibilities was revealed to me...

Or maybe I imagined that's how it all went down?....For about a year, I had been enjoying the tweets and posts b-coli had been posting on LBN. I was a little wary but when the next Black Friday rolled around and the PSVR was given a substantial discount at a lot of retailers I thought I'd give it a go...especially with the prospect of Dreams logo: being PSVR compatible, that nailed it for me...it went from being a maybe to a must buy.
    Imagine the prospect of creating completely immersible environments for players to experience,wow!
    At this point I hadn't even tried an in-store demo so it was a bit of a risk for me, why? I'm not great with motion sickness, I'm the kinda of chap who feels a wave of nausea even playing ring toss or hook the duck at the fairground..I went to Florida for a two week family holiday and basically it turned into the great Orlando theme park vomit tour..it wasn't a character actor painted green as the Hulk in universal studios that year...it was me after getting off another nausea inducing ride...

So when I first put on the VR head set and fired it up the experience was a big WOW! much , much better than I had anticipated or hoped for...everything seemed so solid and realised, so immersive, stunning i fact...I kept laughing and had a constant smile on my face...needless to say I over did it on my first session and felt a little woozy after...a bit like coming in from a night out with too many beers, a belly full of greasy kebab...just wanting to lie down happy and satisfied.

I then took the sensible step (very out of character for me I know ) of doing a little research, asking more experienced users like Ob-coli-wan, Hyperdannydude for recommendations to make the VR experience a little easier and it has become a lot more comfortable.

Enoch's guide to PSVR and not losing your lunch

#1 Take it easy at first, limit yourself to a smaller timed immersion maybe 15-20 mins and build up to longer sessions gradually in 5 min increments each time, just as you would with physical exercise

#2 Unless you're filming yourself for one of those lame a$$ YouTube puke videos why would you play on a full stomach? WHY?!?!

#3 Not a great idea to play if you're ill either...you have a headache? I know let's play video games and turn it into a full blown migraine. You have the flu?...I strongly recommend playing VR worlds underwater depths tour because the confinement of the VR headset combined with teary eyes and a nose full of snot will actually make you feel you are underwater!

#4 Select more passive games initially shooters or high speed racing could trigger motion sickness..maybe watch an interactive story like Allumette or the Batman game which is pretty measured without massive jumps in pace or direction.

#5 Be aware of your surroundings/environment, especially if you have pets...although it's pretty hilarious playing The last Guardian demo as your dog licks your neck trying to take your attention form the giant eagle dog thingamjig on the screen..I also elect not to use the earplugs or headset which would probably increase the immersion quite a lot.

#6 Lots of choice, VR games and experiences are really building nicely but choose which best suits your playing style / tolerance . A lot of free demos and experiences are available on PSN store.. I received Skyrim as part of my purchase package but don't have the tolerance to play for hours that title demands but other titles like Star trek and Resident Evil could be played in smaller chunks resulting in me not blowing chunks!

#7 Adjust the settings...the in game options and controls can really help you tailor the game to be a much more comfortable experience, use them!

#8 if you are on the more extreme end of the lack of tolerance scale maybe try some travel sickness counter measures...Ginger consumed a little before playing really does help settle the stomach....you can purchase acupressure wrist bands cheaply and these once again do work

I hope these tips help anyone who suffers in the same way, they certainly did for me.

As far as how I would rate and recommend the PSVR experience? I would say it is a must try..and when dreams is released a must buy
    Last edited by EnochRoot; 8th January 2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

I’m really hoping PSVR works out for me. I get dizzy just thinking about tilting my head wrong. I have been told that PSVR is the easiest one to get used to though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougal View Post
        I’m really hoping PSVR works out for me. I get dizzy just thinking about tilting my head wrong. I have been told that PSVR is the easiest one to get used to though.
        The above tips did really work for me. On another note by the time Dreams is released we may see a further price drop in PSVR

Comment

I found my old move controllers from my PS3 last night. I heard that they're the same ones used for the PS4. Is that right? If so then I just hafta buy the camera and PSVR, 'cause the controllers I saw on Amazon were more expensive than the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougal View Post
            I found my old move controllers from my PS3 last night. I heard that they're the same ones used for the PS4. Is that right? If so then I just hafta buy the camera and PSVR, 'cause the controllers I saw on Amazon were more expensive than the camera.
            The PS3 Move controllers worked in LBP3 on PS4 for me, so I think they should be fine. I don’t think Sony ever made newer ones specifically for PS4, just a new and better camera.

Comment

I heard the ps4 version of Move controller has slightly better tracking.
              One surprisingly immersive PSVR game I found is called “Bound”.
              There is a demo available on the store and there is a sale for the full version at the moment.

Comment

i saw on IGN that the PSVR has 150 games currently.... man that seems like a lot pretty fast... and the rest of the article says they ahve 130 coming this year on top of that

seems like Sony is really behind VR, which is nice.
                if you wanna see the article its here:

With sales of PSVR now over 2 million, Sony expects the number of games for the platform to almost double.

Comment

I recently played Manifest 99
                  I quite liked the art style and story vibe and shorter length made it an enjoyable VR experience..though I didn't find it is a moving as various reviews and plaudits suggested...

Comment

Early adopter here (picked one up on launch)
                    I found that most games feel like tech demos with visuals (textures) taking a big hit to maintain performance.
                    My two favorite games so far would be Tethered and Eagle Flight. The freedom of movement, response and fast paced nature of Eagle Flight really impressed me.
                    looking forward to future iterations with a bit more grunt behind the system (PS5) so developers dont need to scale visuals back as much as they have to currently.

I'm of course REALLY looking forward to sculpting in VR and walking around a world of my own/others creation.... tingles.
                    Last edited by Fahran1979; 16th February 2018, 08:44 AM.
                    www.mad-gfx.com | Dreams Collaborative Team

Comment

I'm not sure how well VR will interface with but the idea of sculpting in VR is very appealing, really could enhance the perspective and give creators like me with zero ability a better way to get to grips with it...

Comment

I missed the whole Minecraft thing as I was too busy on LBP but this PSVR title might be worth ago if you enjoyed Minecraft...

Comment

I'm a sucker for sandbox games. XD

Comment

Some stores in the US are having big discounts on PSVR right now, so for anyone thinking of getting a headset, now is a good time to shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by Pookachoo View Post
                              Some stores in the US are having big discounts on PSVR right now, so for anyone thinking of getting a headset, now is a good time to shop around.
                              yeah i saw they did a price drop on PSVR to $199.99 for the spring! that's $100 off!

Comment

Working...
                              X