Gardening & nature thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening & nature thread

Recently I've been getting into gardening and nature walks as a way fo relaxing. ...a great way to clear the mind and unwind.
    I'm not a fan of the heavily manicured stripey lawn, giant trimmed hedge type look, I prefer to let plants do their own thing.
    Entering the winter months here in the UK does limit the amount of outdoor workload but there is plenty of relaxing fun projects that can be done inside such as...

If you feel like sharing some gardening related stuff or maybe some outside interests please feel free to do so.

Another indoor project which is remarkably easy is growing some succulents and cacti.
    I've noticed these have become a lot more popular and most supermarkets usually sell some but I didn't realise how easy they are to propagate taking most of the expense out of it and adding a whole new level of satisfaction when you grow your own plants from a single leaf ( not that I'm endorsing pulling off leaves from plants in shops though it can be done from leaves that have fallen off already )

Here's a video on how to go about getting started:

Here's an example of two leaves I started propagating...now I just have to print a suitable container and they will become full-fledged plants to join my collection

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_091442.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	6079
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_091339.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	6081 ​​​​​​​
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post
      Recently I've been getting into gardening and nature walks as a way fo relaxing. ...a great way to clear the mind and unwind.
      I'm not a fan of the heavily manicured stripey lawn, giant trimmed hedge type look, I prefer to let plants do their own thing.
      Entering the winter months here in the UK does limit the amount of outdoor workload but there is plenty of relaxing fun projects that can be done inside such as...

If you feel like sharing some gardening related stuff or maybe some outside interests please feel free to do so.
      hahaha i watched this EXACT video about 6 months ago
      his narration made me laugh.

as for the succulents, man i wish i woulda known, i woulda packed in a bunch of jade plant leaves for you, i had a bunch since i trimmed my plant.

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

Comment

Originally posted by b-coli View Post

hahaha i watched this EXACT video about 6 months ago
        his narration made me laugh.

as for the succulents, man i wish i woulda known, i woulda packed in a bunch of jade plant leaves for you, i had a bunch since i trimmed my plant.
        I picked up a few dropped jade leaves at a local gardening centre yesterday....going to have to be careful with this new hobby as I could see succulents taking over every available spare spot in my house. How's the bonsai cultivation going?

Comment

• b-coli
          b-coli commented
          Editing a comment
          well... about that.... the one i was training died, i think.... it was upstairs to get southern light, but i forget bout the plants upstairs sometimes, thats why they are mostly cactus and succulents. but the mimosa lost all its leaves and is dried out, so i don't think its coming back, which honestly isn't a bad thing since it dropped hundreds of tiny leave all the time. i would rather do a cherry tree and still have some seeds to try, the 4 i got to sprout ended up molding so i gotta figure out whats up. some of my jade plants are starting to get white spots which are bugging me too. but i have a ton of baby cacti so easy to grow!

EnochRoot, Are you sure you're ready to take care of a Cactus?

It's a lot of responsibility. They need a lot of care and attention.

Make sure to pet it often.

Also remember to change the litter box regularly.

A-and give it a name!

Comment

Another gardening project which can be done indoors or out is establishing a moss garden. Here in the UK moss is usually considered a pest by gardeners who prefer their manicured stripey bowling type lawns but the Japanese style aesthetic which is more in harmony with nature really appeals to me and I'll be giving it a go...

​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
          X