No announcement yet.

Film,TV & Media discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost was my favorite tv show, and I’m not sure there will be anything to replace it for me, but I’ve managed to have some fun with other stuff since then. That said, most of it is more anime than standard tv here. Grew up with Sailor Moon so that might have some influence on my tastes.

Paranoia Agent seemed similar to Lost at the time when I first saw it. Even rewatching it now, I’ve discerned some new things and found new ways to look at it. It’s only within the past few months I decided to look into Satoshi Kon’s other works. Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika; all good in their own ways.

The Shape of Voice/A Silent Voice was another good film, as was Spirited Away. Not anime, but still foreign, If Cats Disappeared from the World is probably my favorite movie, simple as it is. Paris, Texas is a bit more conventional but I’d likely place it second.

Stuff like Inuyasha or Dragon Ball Z used to interest me, but not so much now. In more recent years, there’s been Berserk, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, Ghost Stories, Excel Saga. Maybe I’ll try One Piece now that a friend in China has told me she’s been watching it.

Lastly there’s some cartoons from my childhood that I liked. Spongebob was one, but I think one that will remain timelessly entertaining to me was Ed, Edd n Eddy.

EDIT: Not sure how I could forget Twin Peaks. Only started watching it years after I played Deadly Premonition, and I feel that probably had an effect on how I viewed the Return, compared to those who actually waited 25+ years. I can understand a lot of the issues, but I personally enjoyed how it ended.
    Last edited by CrimsonTiger; 23rd April 2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonTiger View Post
      Lost was my favorite tv show, and I’m not sure there will be anything to replace it for me, but I’ve managed to have some fun with other stuff since then.
      Woo! Welcome to the club, myself and b-coli used to discuss that show a lot when it was airing. It's still my favourite show of all time, I don't think it's the best show of all time, but definitely my favourite.

The Leftovers is another great show by Damon Lindelof, not sure if you watched it, but it's really good and has a lot of mystery and interesting characters like Lost did.
      - Formerly known as FlyingIrishMan

Comment

I saw Endgame last night, absolutely brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post

Woo! Welcome to the club, myself and b-coli used to discuss that show a lot when it was airing. It's still my favourite show of all time, I don't think it's the best show of all time, but definitely my favourite.

The Leftovers is another great show by Damon Lindelof, not sure if you watched it, but it's really good and has a lot of mystery and interesting characters like Lost did.
          how do you know what show was Tigers favorite? i didn't see Community mentioned at alland how did you get that tiny icon of my sackboy?

man i miss community, some other shows that made me giggle are, Other Space, Sirens, The Tick (all three versions), Superstore. as for anime, Cowboy Bebop, Trgun, Dual, Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Kite, Photon the Idiot Adventures, Key the Metal Idol, Outlaw Star...

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

Comment

Still waiting a while until we can discuss Endgame...

meanwhile this is an interesting series for those interested in creativity, the processes involved...some great ideas in case your up against a block

Comment

Most two recent movies I saw were Bohemian Rhapsody and Detective Pikachu.

Had meant to go see the former as a sort of early birthday thing to myself. Kind of strange, having been born just a few days before Freddie Mercury passed away. Glad to have the parents that I do or else I might have never listened to anyone that was around before my time. Even so, there’s a lot I realize I didn’t know about Queen, and even then it seems difficult to parse truth from fiction here. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though it’s harder to judge something when it concerns placing artistic vision before historical accuracy. As an aside, I think it also felt a bit more relatable now than when I’d asked my coworker whether she wanted to go, not having realized she’s taken...or not, or maybe, don’t really care but it’s difficult to give much time to people you find are dishonest. Don’t want to spoil much, just think I might not have got as much out of fiction Freddie’s turmoil months ago.

Detective Pikachu wasn’t so depressing or melancholy. In fact, it was a pleasant surprise. Perhaps my expectations were tempered a bit after reading and watching several so so reviews, but I’m feeling I don’t agree with most. The only major nitpick I have is that two of the leads aren’t as good as much of the rest of the cast, but then it seems Ryan Reynolds has gotten pretty great at what he does compared to some fresh faces.

As someone who hasn’t really kept up with the series as a whole since gen 2, I might have a bit of a bias since a lot of this is nostalgic, but there are some of the newer ones about. Still trying to avoid spoilers, but perhaps one part that helped in particular was having only really liked the first movie and dropping off after the third or fourth, never mind the whole orange islands thing in the show.

Not sure what I’ll watch next. My friend in China has been after me to see something called Bahu Bali??? all I know is apparently it’s an Indian film. There were some previews I saw recently, one for Aladdin which I just can’t seem to bring myself to like any of the casting choice, but Lion King looks like it will be good. I’ve forgotten they’ve remade Tarzan but I’m afraid to see that, since it was probably my favorite Disney movie.

Comment

so i started watching a new show to me.. maybe not to you over on the other side of the pond(since its British) but its called A Touch Of Cloth.
                to anyone in the US that has no clue what that is... think the Naked Gun or Police Squad, but British
                it was on a suggestion from Spaff, and he was spot on with the description
                its on Amazon Prime if anyone is interested.

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

Comment

Working...
                X