Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mugsig View Post
    Being the psychology student I am I also recommend Mindhunter
    I love Stranger things with it's SciFi and 80's vibe...
    And I really enjoyed Mindhunter, very compelling fact based drama with very little gore..the opening and ending of the show seasons were excellent
    You might like this Mugsie....it shows what a brilliant job the actor did playing one of the research subjects...*probably a small spoiler alert if you haven't seen the show

Comment

It was great to see Logan has received an Oscar nomination for best adapted screenplay....about time Hollywood acknowledged and recognised the creative writing and talent behind the comic genre they have been plundering for some time now.

Comment

Oh my, I’m about three years behind in movies and shows, maybe this is a perfect place for me to learn lol

Comment

Originally posted by Takoyaki View Post
          Oh my, I’m about three years behind in movies and shows, maybe this is a perfect place for me to learn lol
          Don't worry about being behind on movie releases...given the sheer quantity of movies produced globally and the massive backlog stretching back to Hollywood's golden era it's impossible for anyone to catch up. You may pick up a few recommendations in this thread that might not have come your way before, new movies, obscure indies, b-movie classics or members personal faves/guilty pleasure viewing.

Comment

the Trailer for Antman & the Wasp looks like a fun movie...loved the building shrink effect and the giant miss kitty pez dispenser weapon

Comment

This might be a fun movie for those who are enjoying battling giants on Monster Hunter or Shadow of the Colossus

Comment

• katanagirl1
                katanagirl1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmm, I hadn’t heard of that movie, seems more Buffy the Vampire Slayer than Shadow to me, will keep an eye out for it though, thanks!

Latest trailer is up for ReadyPlayerOne...full details of film on page1 post #14 of this thread, can't wait

Comment

Last trailer I'll post for ReadyPlayerOne....mainly because it had Dreamer in the title

I hope it lives up to the hype....I've been tweeting about the book for about 2 years, hopefully, the film will do it some justice

Comment

I hope so. I can’t believe the audacity of some movie directors that think they have a better idea of what should happen in the film than the author of the book. They are always wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by katanagirl1 View Post
                    I hope so. I can’t believe the audacity of some movie directors that think they have a better idea of what should happen in the film than the author of the book. They are always wrong.
                    Different mediums benefit from different elements. Generally speaking, the filmmaker knows what works better in a movie than the novelist knows. Likewise, the author is the authority on written media, where the filmmaker shouldn’t be the #1 opinion on stuff to put in the book.
                    Dreams Project #1: Sectum
                    Website/Portfolio: The Bakery

Comment

Generally, most films based on books suffer in comparison, something to do with investment and engagement the reader uses creating an internal imagined personal universe.
                      There are some films that have spectacularly outdone their written source...Shawshank redemption was based on a Stephen King short story whereas the film makes many fan top rated movie lists.
                      And what of the emergence of the comic book movie genre? As comics have a visual aspect.the translation to screen seems more successful and readily accepted.

Comment

I agree Enoch - when I watch a movie “based” on a book I always think the changes were unnecessary. It’s not just redoing stuff to fit better in a film format, but ridiculous story line changes. The only instance I can currently think of is the Harkonnen heartplugs that were inserted into the Dune movie. It added nothing and actually detracted from the experience for me. The director’s cut I have only on VCR thankfully left that out. I wish I could find that version on blu-ray or even DVD.

I have enjoyed the comic book movies so far, but I often having trouble “suspending disbelief” at some of the outrageous story lines in them, there really is some weird stuff going on there.

Comment

Originally posted by katanagirl1 View Post
                          I agree Enoch - when I watch a movie “based” on a book I always think the changes were unnecessary. It’s not just redoing stuff to fit better in a film format, but ridiculous story line changes. The only instance I can currently think of is the Harkonnen heartplugs that were inserted into the Dune movie. It added nothing and actually detracted from the experience for me. The director’s cut I have only on VCR thankfully left that out. I wish I could find that version on blu-ray or even DVD
                          I've read hundreds of Science fiction books but never read through the Dune series unfortunately, but I did see the 1984 David Lynch movie and really enjoyed it
                          ( it even had Captain Picard in it )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Would be great inspirational material to base some Dreams creations on?

Comment

I only read the first Dune book, never got any further. I read it...umm...cough...about 35 years ago so I don’t remember many of the details. The director’s cut had a lot more scenes with the Fremen which gave more context to the story. Max von Sydow was in it too. Also one of those Mentat guys was in Krull as well. Laugh if you want, that was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I still enjoy watching it, picked it up on blu-ray a while back with Aliens and Army of Darkness.

Comment

The new Deadpool trailer is up...looks like it will have a similar irreverent, gory, sweary vibe as the first film...excellent

Comment

Working...
                              X