Film,TV & Media discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film,TV & Media discussion

A thread to post discussion and recommendations of your favourite shows, films or channels you have discovered for other to share.
    How has the increasing influence of the streaming services such as Netflix and amazon impacted on your viewing patterns?
    Are you a binge watcher or do you prefer to see movies at the cinema or multiplex?
    What have been your TV highlights this year? What is your movie of 2017? What has become your guilty viewing pleasure?

Enoch! As anyone who knows me from back on the other forum knows, I am a major movie addict and especially love B movies and horror films. My two favorite horror films of 2017 was The Void and The Autopsy of Jane Doe. I was thinking of eventually making a blog about this but I guess I can mention it here too. A few months ago I started my own B movie review show that plays homage to stuff like Elvira Mistress of the Dark and Tales From the Crypt and is hosted by a black cat puppet. So if you love the idea of a B movie review show themed puppet show then you may love this :P I currently have ten episodes under my belt and I plan on doing much more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLs...MqJkGwMkctcBjA

Only 8 of my episodes are on here though due to copyright shenanigans (I'm supposed to be protected by the fair use act but sadly there are a lot of company's that like to ignore it)

though here is another site where you can see all ten

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/fantasticcrap/

If you love B movies and puppets, check it out! :P

Comment

awesome! just subscribed! that is one creepy looking cat

so on to some viewing suggestions.
      for regular old TV in the states.... i would go with my current #1 comedy show.... Superstore. (think the office meets wal-mart)
      i finally discovered Stranger Things this year too. LOVE it! and if you have a chance, pick up the physical copies at Target, the packaging is AMAZING! like an old school VHS case.

a recent show i just binged the entire season in one day. its on Amazon Prime and its called Marvelous Ms Masiel. its set in the 50's thats all i will say

as for movies.... hmmm i am SERIOUSLY looking forward to the Battle Angel Alita movie.... more so than star wars, and i am a star wars fanatic... but GUNNM is my favorite manga series and Battle Angel Alita is one of my top 2 stand alone anime.

if you enjoy watching old farts mess about, try Better Late than Never, it is George Foreman, Henry Winkler, William Shatner, Terry Bradshaw and another dude, going around the world doing stuff.... think, Idiots Abroad

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

Comment

Good to here you managed to catch up with Stranger things B-c, I really enjoyed the show and it's 80's vibe....
        Been to the cinema quite a few times this year and for me the best two films were Logan and Bladerunner 2049. Not sure how they will fare come awards season but I found them both to be entertaining, with great action sequences and emotionally engaging, would definitely recommend them both. Was pissed off at Ridley Scott taking shots at the sequel for being too long recently, personally I didn't want it to end...and isn't this the same Ridley diddley Scott who kept milking and releasing re-cuts of the original Bladerunner, each a little longer until the final directors cut?

Comment

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post
          Good to here you managed to catch up with Stranger things B-c, I really enjoyed the show and it's 80's vibe....
          Been to the cinema quite a few times this year and for me the best two films were Logan and Bladerunner 2049. Not sure how they will fare come awards season but I found them both to be entertaining, with great action sequences and emotionally engaging, would definitely recommend them both. Was pissed off at Ridley Scott taking shots at the sequel for being too long recently, personally I didn't want it to end...and isn't this the same Ridley diddley Scott who kept milking and releasing re-cuts of the original Bladerunner, each a little longer until the final directors cut?
          those two movies were the best i can remember from this year too.

well whaddya know... Marvelous Ms. Maisel won best tv comedy on the golden globes last night and best actress in a tv series...(or something like that).

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

Comment

Ever since me and the other half got Netflix I barely watch TV now. The only time I do watch is when we're visiting other peoples homes. And even then I can't go back to it. Too many adverts and you have to wait till the time the show is on. Netflix, choose and watch it there and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcainess View Post
              Ever since me and the other half got Netflix I barely watch TV now. The only time I do watch is when we're visiting other peoples homes. And even then I can't go back to it. Too many adverts and you have to wait till the time the show is on. Netflix, choose and watch it there and then.
              This is how my watching patterns have changed too...throw things like YouTube, independent streaming sites and Tivo then I rarely watch TV in the old standard fashion. It might be bad news for advertising revenue streams in the long term for old established Television broadcasters?
              On Netflix I tend to binge watch series and also enjoy the discovery aspect of the recommendations.
              i recently found myself drawn to a peculiar genre of Japanese shows based around social drama and food. The first of these was Samurai Gourmet which offers insight into Japanese culture in a gentle, whimsical way funny and quite touching at times.

Comment

I still don’t like the idea of streaming video, I mean that is lots of data per second and now we want to increase that by a factor of four for 4K? Don’t you get tired of waiting for it to buffer up in the middle of your show/movie?

I do find the DVR handy, you can set it up to record your favorite TV series and it tapes them automatically. Then I watch them later and fast forward through the commercials. A 30 minute show only takes 20 minutes then!

You reminded me of the Bladerunner movie, we didn’t get to see it when it was at theaters and I think it’s on pay per view now.

Comment

Originally posted by katanagirl1 View Post
                  You reminded me of the Bladerunner movie, we didn’t get to see it when it was at theaters and I think it’s on pay per view now.
                  definitely worth checking out...doesn't matter if you haven't seen the original Bladerunner, although it would add an extra dimension if you had
                  . if you're a fan of the first the second is a very different film, both are interesting in their own way but I found the second to be the better movie.

the second Netflix series I was drawn to in my ongoing obsession with these strange Japanese food and social/culture shows is called
                  Kantaro the Sweet toothed salaryman....it's a mix of whacky anime style humour, surreal dream sequences and office manners, the restaurants and dishes featured in the show are real venues you can visit to try the sweet dishes...

Comment

I don't know about you folks but I don't pay a dime for streaming sites. It's probably illegal in some countries, which is why I won't leave any site names. I don't do it too often though, but the quality is fine. It pretty much makes the TV obsolete because you can watch any film/series, which in my opinion is the only thing worth watching. News and national/international reports can be read instead of watched on the TV. There is of course always those local TV shows that are hard to find on a streaming site, so the TV still has it's positives, but from a global perspective I think that streaming has replaced many TV couch sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post

This is how my watching patterns have changed too...throw things like YouTube, independent streaming sites and Tivo then I rarely watch TV in the old standard fashion. It might be bad news for advertising revenue streams in the long term for old established Television broadcasters?
                      On Netflix I tend to binge watch series and also enjoy the discovery aspect of the recommendations.
                      Same here, first Netflix changed a lot and then i got a chromecast that changed my viewing experience even more. I think 90% of my tv time is with sreaming netflix, youtube and twitch.

Comment

Something else to consider is the sociological effect of how these streaming services and technology have impacted on familial groups.
                        A decade or so ago watching television could often be a sociable activity but nowadays you may find different members of the same family unit using different screens computers, phones, to watch or stream independently from each other simultaneously.
                        And with streaming there is often the temptation to binge watch too many episodes in a row, far more than medical opinion considers to be healthy....sitting without taking breaks may have a negative physiological impact on the body? easily done when you're really into a favourites shows story arc and you really want to know what happens next? The inner monologue usually runs something like this *...just one more episode before I turn in...might be a little knackered at work but worth it*

The 3rd Netflix series I discovered in my fascination with these engaging Japanese food/social drama shows is Midnight Diner:Tokyo.....each episode is based on the customers of a late night diner in the heart of Tokyo, the stories are often amusing,well written and touching

Comment

This upcoming film should be enjoyable if you're a fan of Videogame culture, VR, 80's music and enjoy a near future scifi adventure....(though I do recommend reading the book Ready Player One by Ernest Cline first)

Comment

Interesting twist in that the writer of Ready Player one was in fact inspired in his writing by some of Spielbergs 80's films and then they come together to create the upcoming movie, it might end up being a great rendition of the original novel after all....not just another CGI/videogame culture disaster like the craptacular Pixels movie...

The film is set in 2045, with the world on the brink of chaos and collapse. But the people have found salvation in the OASIS, an expansive virtual reality universe created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance). When Halliday dies, he leaves his immense fortune to the first person to find a digital Easter egg he has hidden somewhere in the OASIS, sparking a contest that grips the entire world. When an unlikely young hero named Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) decides to join the contest, he is hurled into a breakneck, reality-bending treasure hunt through a fantastical universe of mystery, discovery and danger.

Spielberg directed the film from a screenplay by Zak Penn and Ernest Cline. The film was produced by Donald De Line, Spielberg, Kristie Macosko Krieger and Dan Farah; with Adam Somner, Daniel Lupi, Chris deFaria and Bruce Berman serving as executive producers. “Ready Player One” stars Tye Sheridan (“X-Men: Apocalypse,” “Mud”), Olivia Cooke (“Me and Earl and the Dying Girl,” “Bates Motel”), Ben Mendelsohn (“Rogue One – A Star Wars Story,” “Bloodline”) and T.J. Miller (“Deadpool,” “Silicon Valley”), with Simon Pegg (the “Star Trek” movies, the “Mission: Impossible” movies) and Oscar winner Mark Rylance (“Bridge of Spies,” “Dunkirk”).
                            Behind the scenes, three-time Oscar winner Spielberg (“Schindler’s List,” “Saving Private Ryan”) reunited his creative team from “Bridge of Spies,” including Oscar-winning director of photography Janusz Kaminski (“Schindler’s List,” “Saving Private Ryan”), Oscar-winning production designer Adam Stockhausen (“The Grand Budapest Hotel”), Oscar-winning editor Michael Kahn (“Saving Private Ryan,” “Raiders of the Lost Ark”) and Sarah Broshar (“The Post”), and costume designer Kasia Walicka-Maimone (“Moonrise Kingdom”). The music is by Oscar-nominated composer Alan Silvestri (the “Back to the Future” films, “Forrest Gump”). Warner Bros. Pictures and Amblin Entertainment present, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, an Amblin Production, a De Line Pictures Production, a Steven Spielberg Film, “Ready Player One.” Slated for release on March 30, 2018

Comment

Stranger Things is definitely one of the best series I've watched, glad you guys had a go of that. One of my fave recommendations though has to be Black Mirror, season 4 currently aired. What's great about that show is how they consider today's technology and society, expands those dimensions and go to extremes, for example, what happens if we can literally record everything we see by installing an implant? Show others what we have seen? It's a good, critical view of society being represented and I personally enjoy the ethical dilemmas it represents, but mostly what it can tell us about today's society as well. And then it's just really well done on filming etc as well.

but hell I have watched so many tv series on netlflix - I love it. Being the psychology student I am I also recommend Mindhunter

Comment

Working...
                              X