Tech Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Discussion thread

A thread for discussion of all things related to technology: computers, software, consumer electronics, discoveries & trends. Articles, videos, recommendations & queries

A number of years ago I stepped off the annual yearly phone upgrade train...much to the annoyance of my service provider. Unfortunately, the battery now drains quicker than the bit coin exchange rate after a pan-Asian powercut...so I wondered what phone models members are using, why they like them or what else they would recommend?
    Last edited by EnochRoot; 7th February 2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I got an iPhone 7 last April and it's my first phone. I didn't choose the bigger model 'cause it would never fit in my pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post
        A number of years ago I stepped off the annual yearly phone upgrade train...much to the annoyance of my service provider. The, unfortunately, the battery now drains quicker than the bit coin exchange rate after a pan-Asian powercut...so I wondered what phone models members are using, why they like them or what else they would recommend?
        Ha ha, you sound like me. I recently upgraded from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5. I want a small phone too.

Comment

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post
          A number of years ago I stepped off the annual yearly phone upgrade train...much to the annoyance of my service provider. Unfortunately, the battery now drains quicker than the bit coin exchange rate after a pan-Asian powercut...so I wondered what phone models members are using, why they like them or what else they would recommend?
          OnePlus 5T (8GB RAM, 128GB Storage version) baby, running Android 8.0 rooted, with Magisk installed (+ Sony Framework) to get PS4 Remote Play going!
          -----
          To Dream or not to Dream...
          That is no question!
          To Dream, it is!

-----

Comment

I still have an old iPhone 5c. Battery goes quickly but I have one of those portable power block thingies that I can get two charges out of. Pretty convenient. I don't really want to upgrade. I mean, I do but only because I need more memory. I don't want the big new iPhone. It's like carrying a tablet around in your pocket. Actually, maybe I'll just go back to an old flip phone and be done with the whole "smart phone" stuff anyway.

Comment

It’s nice to have the calendar on my phone, but other than that I don’t run any apps or anything.

I wish Apple would come out with an iPhone mini, one that you could use without a data plan.

Comment

Having stepped off the upgrade train I can now opt for a model that was maybe a year old rather than this year's latest...so I might go for the Samsung S7 which has good specs and looks to be at a reasonable price.....a tech smart colleague is trying to convince me into getting a Korean brand I've never heard of but he says it has all the specs of the Galaxy at a fraction of the cost

Comment

I got someone’s castoff with the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 was the last phone I purchased and it was a whopping $1. I love not having to keep up with the latest upgrade. Now things are different, though. Instead of phone companies subsidizing the cost of phones they make you pay the full cost of the phone spread out over your contract. I’m just sad I can’t find a Sackboy case for this one anymore.

Comment

I’m using an IPhoneX, having the bigger capacity model is nice because I like to take a lot of pictures and videos!

Comment

Little tip for all you ps4 owners who think a boeing 747 is taking off every time they start up their ps4:
                      Clean your ps4!!

My ps4 is a original ps4 that i picked up at the midnight release day so it will be 5 years old this fall. The noise coming from this thing after all this time was terrible with the fan going full speed all the time so i decided to open it up and it was pretty disgusting after nearly 5 years dust build-up. Cleaned it with help from the video in the link below and it runs as new now. It's so quiet now.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerorogue View Post
                        I still have an old iPhone 5c. Battery goes quickly but I have one of those portable power block thingies that I can get two charges out of. Pretty convenient. I don't really want to upgrade. I mean, I do but only because I need more memory. I don't want the big new iPhone. It's like carrying a tablet around in your pocket. Actually, maybe I'll just go back to an old flip phone and be done with the whole "smart phone" stuff anyway.
                        you should maybe take it in to apple store, since it was made public that their updates for newer version iphones tends to kill battery life, they now sell new batteries for around $20 or at least they were a month or so ago... might help on the battery life

Originally posted by katanagirl1 View Post
                        I got someone’s castoff with the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 was the last phone I purchased and it was a whopping $1. I love not having to keep up with the latest upgrade. Now things are different, though. Instead of phone companies subsidizing the cost of phones they make you pay the full cost of the phone spread out over your contract. I’m just sad I can’t find a Sackboy case for this one anymore.
                        i skipped iphone and went from 4 to a 6 (regular size not that super sized stuff) and when i hold my iphone 4 it seems like a micro phone, can't imagine if i got the big iphone 6. can still remember when i went in to get it, the girl automatically said the large one, and i looked at her and said that i want a phone that would actually fit in my pocket, and honestly wanted a smaller one than that. i found a LBP3 iphone 5 case a long time ago, but not sure where it is right now, its part of my LBP collection so i know they are out there...

Originally posted by Takoyaki View Post
                        I’m using an IPhoneX, having the bigger capacity model is nice because I like to take a lot of pictures and videos!
                        how do you like the x? i refuse to get the 7 or 8 or x cause there is no headphone jack and the x doesn't even have a home button, i don't like that trend, nor do i like that the phones seem to get bigger,,, :(

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

Comment

@B
                          It comes with headphones, just the end goes in the same place the charger does. I guess bigger or other headphones could be a problem without adapters or wireless connection though...

I hated it at first but now I prefer it (or kind of got used to it) without a button, it’s easy to swipe away what you don’t want.

Size wise I think it’s smaller than a plus model, just the screen makes it look bigger.

Comment

Samsungs new foldable phone......YAY or NAY?
                            looks pretty but very expensive and not sure how practical...the S10 looked good though

Comment

at the beginning the mobile phone was huge! real phone booth. then they started to diminish so that we could slip into our pockets. then a new version arrived and it was realized that you could watch X movies of it make them bigger and bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X