No announcement yet.

OFF Topic, off topic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many good questions, less good answers and even less time. I have to go.

Comment

• Comment

• @Sir monacle

I used to live in Aberdare in Wales as a kid, we used to have a lot of fun with sheep....

meanwhile,

Comment

• Insert Fry take my money meme here >

Comment

• Why spend all that time spent studying in school or training in traditional athletic pursuits when you could become a professional e-sport player or dodgeball player and now even playing tag seems to have become a future career?

Comment

• E sports being a legit career is kinda cool, I gotta say.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdkd99 View Post
                E sports being a legit career is kinda cool, I gotta say.
                kinda of cool for enthusiasts but is it a sport? anything you can do whilst drinking beer, smoking a cigarette and eating a burger at the same time is probably a past time or hobby.
                It bewilders me to see darts and snooker being promoted as sport on TV when they are basically pub activities

Comment

• I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the whole battles and such. That is kinda cool.

Sport and jobs have similar things going on. Many people still claim, that working at home/making YouTube for a living/not working physically is not a legit job. And so it's with sport. Some folks will say that stuff like that it's not traditional sport (Which it isn't, it's something totally new) and not a legit sport, but the times are constantly changing. Having more job and career opportunities is great.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Sport definition.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	6285

Personally, I don't think it should be called "E-sport", but if there's one thing we can agree on, it's that these people get paid far too much.

Maybe we should call 'em "E-comps" instead?

Also plants:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sport definition 3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	6286

Comment

• My Xmas jumper arrived just in time for the annual jumper contest at work.... I guess that's GAME OVER! now for everybody this year

Comment

• That's why it's called E-Sports, and not just sports. I think the definition is a little bit outdated. And I disagree with them getting paid too much. The system changes and gets modern.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdkd99 View Post
                          That's why it's called E-Sports, and not just sports. I think the definition is a little bit outdated. And I disagree with them getting paid too much. The system changes and gets modern.
                          When the definition of the word "sport" is tied to physical activity, the attachment of "electronic" doesn't change that.

As for the amount they get paid... Yeah, that's a lot of money. But seeing as you don't state why you disagree, there's nothing I can really say to that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• If they're bringing in enough money to get paid that much then they deserve it.

I don't like when people scoff at competitive gaming. I watched a lot of competitive overwatch last year, and it was extremely entertaining. My friends and I followed it closely, we did a fantasy league for it, and rooted for specific teams. It was no different to people following football in my opinion.
                            Looking forward to when the new season starts in January.
                            Last edited by Billy; 7th December 2018, 04:48 PM.
                            - Formerly known as FlyingIrishMan

Comment

• Well, activity in the brain is after all kind of physical... Right? I mean, right?! ... Well, not traditional sport, but a from of sport and competition...

Anyway... I think if they make this amount of money for providing a show and winning matches and having a audience it's certainly cool for them. I'm happy for them. Now, this is just like being a YouTuber or Game Developer or something like that. I know lots of people who think making YouTube videos can be done without effort whatsoever. Way less physical effort, yes, but it still requires creativity, lots of motivation and so on. Am not talking about reaction videos though.

Take a look at waffleking and his now finished show R15F. I once asked the question 'How long does it take to put a episode together?' and he made a good video about it. The answer was something like '8-16 hours per episode'. It's lots of work, not physical work, but still lots of work some can't imagine. And if one has the ability to make money (in legal ways and by NOT scamming people) with this, or even call it his job, this is great. Society advances more from day to day. I think it's cool that we go into the digital age. I personally like to be open minded about this.

And yes, I think there is little difference between something like football and competitive gaming when it comes to how it can treated. If they earn too much money is a matter of opinion I guess. Farewell

Comment

• Originally posted by Billy View Post
                                If they're bringing in enough money to get paid that much then they deserve it.

I don't like when people scoff at competitive gaming. I watched a lot of competitive overwatch last year, and it was extremely entertaining. My friends and I followed it closely, we did a fantasy league for it, and rooted for specific teams. It was no different to people following football in my opinion.
                                Well, that doesn't work because I think Football players get paid far too much for a competition too. That part really just comes down to personal opinion.

What we can't deny, however is that it is a lot of money.

Outside of pay, the only thing I was truly bashing about e-sports was its name, not the competitions themselves. And purely because you enjoy something, that doesn't mean people should be looked down upon for pointing out a single flaw.

I could make a lot of money off of insurance fraud, but that doesn't really mean that money is deserved.

Comment

Working...
                                X