3D Printing thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katanagirl1 View Post
    That one turned out really nice. I can hear his little kyn voice taunting me now!
    Let me know if you would like me to print one for you to paint and finish yourself KG, I'll send it over...

Comment

So I decided to add another Baby Groot to my collection, this time printed in UVA colour changingPLA, here's timelapse of the effect in sunlight

Comment

Cool!

Comment

I seem to be experiencing a bit of an Alien Invasion!...Good job I've played a bit of Xcom...

Last edited by EnochRoot; 28th July 2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

That turned out really nice!

Comment

Man these are awesome!!

cant believe I’ve stumbled onto someone actually willing to do this for Dreams

Really awesome to know someone will be humbly offering this service through the Dreams Community. Having assets and collaboration shared within the game is big but imo this is huge and I believe this right here is a hidden Gem that is so underrated. I was planning on sending a lot of my original creations out for 3D prints, but was really concerned about how much they would charge and if it would even be worth it.

Bro I’ll definitely be keeping you in mind for 3D prints after it’s export is included if I don’t decide to do it myself

Sorry if this has been discussed already but

QQ:
              this is just from curiosity, did you do the 3D models yourself to have 3D printed, or did you pull them from some 3D source??

also if I wanted to do this myself which I’m really considering, first of all how cool would that be to have not one, but two sources of 3D Dreams focused printing

But what would you suggest as far as 3D printer/spill materials/paints ect from cost to effectiveness if you don’t mind

Comment

Originally posted by Fostworks View Post
                Man these are awesome!!

cant believe I’ve stumbled onto someone actually willing to do this for Dreams
                Really awesome to know someone will be humbly offering this service through the Dreams Community. Having assets and collaboration shared within the game is big but imo this is huge and I believe this right here is a hidden Gem that is so underrated. I was planning on sending a lot of my original creations out for 3D prints, but was really concerned about how much they would charge and if it would even be worth it.
                Bro I’ll definitely be keeping you in mind for 3D prints after it’s export is included if I don’t decide to do it myself
                It still hasn't been 100% confirmed that they'll make model export functionality available but when smaller PSVR games like SculptrVR and PaintrVR are already doing so it gives me confidence that Mm will, especially as they frequently print models from dreams in their studio at Mm towers.
                I'm not sure Media Molecule or Sony realise the full potential of dreams as a democratising tool that could really enable the widespread uptake of home based hobbyist 3d modeling design and manufacture. Having tried some other 3D online tools they seem either too basic or overly complex and tech-based.
                I'm still at the novice stage but have already learned a tremendous amount with an ever-expanding enjoyable learning road ahead. One of the things I learned early is that there are online services that will make your designs for you but they really take the piss with the prices they charge...that's why I decided to offer a profit-free service as part of this Dreams Dreamsverse community. I've posted few models to friends on the site already to see how they fare in the post. As long as costs of printing, material and post are covered I'm fine, it's all about sharing the dreams experience and holding something tangible in your hand drawn from the depths of your imagination is a wonderfully satisfying experience.

this is just from curiosity, did you do the 3D models yourself to have 3D printed, or did you pull them from some 3D source??
                a combination of both....I've been neglecting this thread and will post up a lot more soon. You can download models from sites like thingsverse, myminifactory etc.
                I purchased the Logan stl file from this site as I was massively impressed with it: https://www.malix3design.com/?m=1
                You can edit/ remix a lot of these downloadable files and it's quite satisfying if you can get a successful decent quality print tinkering with the technical aspects of printing.
                The designs I've sent to Mm, which they have been kind enough to feature on occasion have all been my own work and are very basic. Creating your own design feels like the art skill set, tinkering with the materials, printer, and settings feels like the technical skill set and finishing the prints with sanding, painting etc is the craft skill set (which I'm bloody awful at) so a lot of satisfaction can be derived if following the process from idea to finished design.

also if I wanted to do this myself which I’m really considering, first of all how cool would that be to have not one, but two sources of 3D Dreams focused printing
                But what would you suggest as far as 3D printer/spill materials/paints etc from cost to effectiveness if you don’t mind
                I'd love to see a whole team of friendly dreamers come together to help others have their own unique real dream creation, it would be very special feeling for many.
                If you ever decide to take the plunge I'd happily share what little I've learned so far..(been trying to tempt b-coli to give it a go if he could only drop his Funko pop addiction lol}
                In the short time I've been doing it there has been a constant stream of new improved printers being released and there are some great bargains in printers and materials to be found.
                I'd steer clear of SLA printing unless you're a fan of tabletop miniatures as the chemicals and expense can be a little high. Delta design printers are a great technical challenge but unless you have a computer engineering mindset they can be a real ball ache.
                There are various materials but the basic PLA is great for most purposes and everything else (ABS/ PETG ) will block/ break your printer or cause issues.
                Bigger isn't always better, there are some printers with really big build volumes but most folks don't really need that size of print, go for quality print instead.
                There are some printers that have a really user-friendly user interface and a great introduction to 3d printing like the flashforge finder which is a workhorse and can produce exceptional quality prints.
                Some bargains can be found on Amazon / Ebay and the prices often fluctuate with special offers and new model deals.
                As far as painting goes, I bought a bottom end airbrush and still have to master the basics with it but at some point I will.
                Overall the whole experience has been a fun, satisfying learning experience as a hobby, and probably safer than the mid-life crisis motorbike I was planning on getting lol...more than happy to share and chat about it here
                Last edited by EnochRoot; 29th October 2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

3d print project testing different filaments with a touch of the force...

Comment

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post

It still hasn't been 100% confirmed that they'll make model export functionality available but when smaller PSVR games like SculptrVR and PaintrVR are already doing so it gives me confidence that Mm will, especially as they frequently print models from dreams in their studio at Mm towers.
                    I'm not sure Media Molecule or Sony realise the full potential of dreams as a democratising tool that could really enable the widespread uptake of home based hobbyist 3d modeling design and manufacture. Having tried some other 3D online tools they seem either too basic or overly complex and tech-based.
                    I'm still at the novice stage but have already learned a tremendous amount with an ever-expanding enjoyable learning road ahead. One of the things I learned early is that there are online services that will make your designs for you but they really take the piss with the prices they charge...that's why I decided to offer a profit-free service as part of this Dreams Dreamsverse community. I've posted few models to friends on the site already to see how they fare in the post. As long as costs of printing, material and post are covered I'm fine, it's all about sharing the dreams experience and holding something tangible in your hand drawn from the depths of your imagination is a wonderfully satisfying experience.

a combination of both....I've been neglecting this thread and will post up a lot more soon. You can download models from sites like thingsverse, myminifactory etc.
                    I purchased the Logan stl file from this site as I was massively impressed with it: https://www.malix3design.com/?m=1
                    You can edit/ remix a lot of these downloadable files and it's quite satisfying if you can get a successful decent quality print tinkering with the technical aspects of printing.
                    The designs I've sent to Mm, which they have been kind enough to feature on occasion have all been my own work and are very basic. Creating your own design feels like the art skill set, tinkering with the materials, printer, and settings feels like the technical skill set and finishing the prints with sanding, painting etc is the craft skill set (which I'm bloody awful at) so a lot of satisfaction can be derived if following the process from idea to finished design.

I'd love to see a whole team of friendly dreamers come together to help others have their own unique real dream creation, it would be very special feeling for many.
                    If you ever decide to take the plunge I'd happily share what little I've learned so far..(been trying to tempt b-coli to give it a go if he could only drop his Funko pop addiction lol}
                    In the short time I've been doing it there has been a constant stream of new improved printers being released and there are some great bargains in printers and materials to be found.
                    I'd steer clear of SLA printing unless you're a fan of tabletop miniatures as the chemicals and expense can be a little high. Delta design printers are a great technical challenge but unless you have a computer engineering mindset they can be a real ball ache.
                    There are various materials but the basic PLA is great for most purposes and everything else (ABS/ PETG ) will block/ break your printer or cause issues.
                    Bigger isn't always better, there are some printers with really big build volumes but most folks don't really need that size of print, go for quality print instead.
                    There are some printers that have a really user-friendly user interface and a great introduction to 3d printing like the flashforge finder which is a workhorse and can produce exceptional quality prints.
                    Some bargains can be found on Amazon / Ebay and the prices often fluctuate with special offers and new model deals.
                    As far as painting goes, I bought a bottom end airbrush and still have to master the basics with it but at some point I will.
                    Overall the whole experience has been a fun, satisfying learning experience as a hobby, and probably safer than the mid-life crisis motorbike I was planning on getting lol...more than happy to share and chat about it here
                    Wow
                    Thanks so much for that very insightful knowledge and experience with it, that will atleast get me up and running if I decide to pursue it myself I’m sure.

Im gonna keep this with me to review and look over for info if I do go that route.

This is gonna be a game changer for creators in Dreams for sure!! I can’t wait to atleast have my own creations printed.

Comment

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post
                      3d print project testing different filaments with a touch of the force...

The force is strong with this one! Hehe

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ar1.png
Views:	1
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	5701

Comment

Saw this easy to use budget Danish 3d printer on offer. A very easy to use plug and play entry level type machine. Don't be fooled by the size as the build volume is pretty impressive allowing for printing objects as large as a soccer ball. Very light and portable too, ideal for taking around friends houses to show off/ try and convert them to 3d printing/ poisoning their family pets with toxic emissions

Last edited by EnochRoot; 24th November 2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I thought about getting a 3D printer.. a few coworkers have them and cool to see what they create. I just have so many flippin' hobbies, I've sorta run outta room and probably don't need another hobby. lol

Comment

Working...
                            X