3D Printing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printing thread

So with the tantalising prospect of being able to 3D print your Dreams designs, models and objects giving you a real life tactile tangible object you can hold and treasure
    I've decided to research then invest in a hobby level 3D printer...
    It's always good fun to embark on a new hobby every now and then...this will probably be safer than the reconditioning of a vintage motorcycle, something I was considering... that probably would have ended in a spectacular crash and flames, although if the printing plastic catches on fire I might burn the house down
    If the project comes together then I'll start 3D printing service for Dreamsverse.com members wherein they can request their very own designed objects to be printed and sent to them for just the cost of materials and p&p..
    I'll keep this thread updated as the project progresses, feel free to post or add anything if you too are interested in 3D printing design...

Here is well written simple overview of 3D printing for beginners explaining basic terms and techniques:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/beginn...e-3d-printing/

There are also some informative 3D YouTube channels offering hints, tips, instructions and machine reviews

This will be sooo cool!

Comment

Very awesome! I'm sure as the community grows we'll become very fond of each other's creations. It will be fun to be able to make them in the real world.

Comment

Some of those images you posted as potential character models would make great print subjects vasuri...

Still researching the subject and finding more information....the budget 3D resin printer in the video below has garnered a lot of interest and would seem to be a good option for the casual beginner but it is regarded with deep skepticism by the 3D printing community due to it's much delayed release despite pulling in over a million on kick-starter and using a phone as the operating system

Comment

I wonder about the resin. I’ve had some second-hand experience with two-part mixing of resin for model building and it’s really nasty stuff, pretty toxic. I don’t know what type of resin is used here, I watched with no sound on.

Comment

Originally posted by katanagirl1 View Post
            I wonder about the resin. I’ve had some second-hand experience with two-part mixing of resin for model building and it’s really nasty stuff, pretty toxic. I don’t know what type of resin is used here, I watched with no sound on.
            Yes there are some pretty toxic chemicals involved in the SLA printing process.Might be a toss up between poisoning myself with SLA printing or burning the house down with the heated printing surface in PLA printing

Comment

And thus the box of monkeys has been opened....to misquote Rod Scheider in Jaws "Your gonna need a bigger 3D Printer". I can feel the sharks circling, Enoch.

Comment

I've been checking the price of entry models on amazon and ebay and they seem to be dropping quite a bit as successive generations of printers are released. I was planning on holding out for a black friday deal but it looks like I might start sooner than anticipated. I might even get the hang of it before dreams is released

Comment

After a couple of weeks of research, I've decided to opt for this entry level 3D printer. Reliable printer, good open software and easy to use...

Comment

That looks like a really nice one, EnochRoot! It sure looks easy just watching from the video. I guess the real trick is designing something cool to print. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post
                      After a couple of weeks of research, I've decided to opt for this entry level 3D printer. Reliable printer, good open software and easy to use...

i was actually looking at this and others on amazon last night by chance... can't afford one anytime soon, but still interested.

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

Comment

Let the madness commence...

Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit_1_8641341622.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	2330

Comment

First test print underway...

Click image for larger version  Name:	imageedit_2_6439457714.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.4 KB ID:	2352

and hours of future entertainment for this furry fella...

Click image for larger version  Name:	imageedit_5_2896422330.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	2353
                          Last edited by EnochRoot; 3rd February 2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I predict there will be cat hair in all of your printouts!

Comment

Repairing the brain damage inflicted on poor Sackboy by the bug & crash fest that was LBP3...

Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit_2_4890948574.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2394

Comment

Working...
                              X