How To: use Emojis in a Text Displayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: use Emojis in a Text Displayer

You can use a Text Gadget to display a large assortment of emojis - and it doesn’t add anything to the graphics thermo!
    There are various emoji charts online, I recommend this one because it’s large and includes hex code: https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html
    Looking at that chart you’ll notice that each emoji has several variations, and I’ve found that none of the ones shown are exactly the same as what displays in Dreams, but so far I haven’t found a more accurate list. Dreams will display a version that very similar to what you see in the charts “Joy” column but just a little nicer and more detailed.

So to use these, stamp down a Text Displayer and find the emoji you want from the chart. There are two ways of entering text to display the emoji, using hex code or by typing the name of the emoji - I highly recommend using the hex code because just inputting the name doesn’t work for all emojis.

Hex Code method (recommended)
    1. Type a backslash followed by lower case x
      • \x
    2. Find the code for your emoji on the left side of the chart
    3. Don’t type the U+ portion of the code, start with the first number
      • 5 digit alphanumeric code
    4. Type a semicolon
      • ;
    5. At this point your text should become the emoji, make sure there are no spaces in your code

Name Only (less reliable)
    1. Type a colon
      • :
    2. Find the name of your emoji on the right side of the chart
    3. Using lower case and no spaces, type the emoji name
    4. Type another colon
    5. :
    6. If you’re the does not become the emoji, try the Hex Code method

Text Displayers use no graphics thermo and it takes 66 of them to increase the gameplay thermo by 1% so they’re a good tool for optimized creation

You can also use any of the Dreams game icons, and while Emojis are a set color and cannot be changed, Dreams icons will display on any color you choose for the Text Gadget.
    Mm has provided a full, searchable list of all available icons. Simply find the one you want and enter the text shown: https://docs.indreams.me/en-US/guide/getting-started/icons
    Last edited by Pookachoo; 22 February 2020, 03:56 PM.

thanks for compiling this Pooks. I can't seem to open the chart link?
    the only method I've used so far is for the control buttons where you enter < circle> , <square> etc to bring up a picture of the PS4 buttons,
    I see folks generating hearts and smileys in text so figured there must be a method

Comment

Nice! I hadn't seen that chart yet. I ended up using this chart, Emoji Cheat Sheet , for my Dreams Mind Reader game. It's the colon name colon method, but worked out really well. I also used the Mm's icon chart.

Edit: I fixed the link for you

Comment

Originally posted by Xerorogue View Post
        Nice! I hadn't seen that chart yet. I ended up using this chart, Emoji Cheat Sheet , for my Dreams Mind Reader game. It's the colon name colon method, but worked out really well. I also used the Mm's icon chart.

Edit: I fixed the link for you
        Thanks!
        I wish I knew of a fully accurate emoji list for Dreams. The list I posted shows names with spaces and that definitely doesn’t work, some of them work with no spaces, some don’t. Your list shows underscores and again, sometimes that works and sometimes not. For example in Dreams typing “broken_heart” works but “thumbsup” has to be all one word. So far the hex code has worked every time for me, but it’s less intuitive.

Originally posted by EnochRoot View Post
        thanks for compiling this Pooks. I can't seem to open the chart link?
        the only method I've used so far is for the control buttons where you enter < circle> , <square> etc to bring up a picture of the PS4 buttons,
        I see folks generating hearts and smileys in text so figured there must be a method
        I’ve added a link to the Mm list of Dreams icons, those have an added benefit of being able to change the color whereas emojis cannot
        Last edited by Pookachoo; 22 February 2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pookachoo View Post
          I’ve added a link to the Mm list of Dreams icons, those have an added benefit of being able to change the color whereas emojis cannot
          OOOOH! that's exciting, not seen that before! Can't wait to play around with it....everyone will be getting emoji feedback now!
          Aubergines and winks for everyone!!!

the right heel strike on the Dreams icon looks like someone slipping on dog poop....i have just the dream for that one!
          and the remix icon will be ideal to use in the comments of those who remix without giving credit...excellent!
          Last edited by EnochRoot; 22 February 2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

whoa whoa whoa, change the colors? How is that done?

Comment

Originally posted by Xerorogue View Post
              whoa whoa whoa, change the colors? How is that done?
              Dreams icons don’t have an inherent color, they just display whatever text color is selected in the Text Gadget - black by default, but changeable.
              Emojis won’t though, they display in their native color. So if you do a thumbs up emoji it’s always yellow, but if you do the thumbs up Dreams icon you can make it any color

Comment

Oh doggone, I knew that! I remember doing that a couple times on my Dreams Mindreader game now. I changed them back to the default black because it just looked better.

Comment

Working...
                X