No announcement yet.

[FeverdreamS] Community Creations Look-ats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ossu! Comin' up at y'alls with another sweet dream!

This go about we're having a look at Splatty's Adventure v0.5.8 by RDKatrell22, pbgamer96, NiloFranck, and SoInDiverse. The too-long/didn't-watch is this is a decent enough 3d platforming collect-a-thon that pretty clearly shows it's early access rough edges. The base gameplay is fun enough, though i think it could be scaffolded a bit better. Really polish and expansion is probably the direction to go in to make this one a stronger showing (especially in the camera department); though for what i got to see, i did have a good time with it. Very reminiscent of Mario 64. Give it a play if you haven't yet, or even if you have. The creator's seem to be pretty on top of updates, so it might be different from what you experienced before.

Thanks, as always, for all the feedback, and have a great day!

Behind the Curtains Stuffs
    My hair is blue now.
    Dreams community creations look-ats at FeverdreamS
    LBP community creations look-ats at LittleBite-sizedPlanet
    Come join us for streams on Twitch too!

Comment

And we're back!

No, i know it's been a bit, there's just a lot that's been going on. i realize i didn't get the update post for episode 047 in, so let's start there.

ROOT by GK-S- is a pretty solid fantasy-adventure that follows a young faerie girl on the first leg of her journey to... i don't remember exactly what right at the moment. Environmental design is well-handled, if a little Dreams Fantasy-standard; and the character models are really quite nice. The fight system is relatively decent, though the lack of a fixed camera can make the boss battles a touch more of a trial than entirely necessary. Still, worth a bit of time investment to sit down with.

Now, for episode 048!

This one, we're having a look at Beat Blaster by Benji_Dixon. This one has got a good concept behind it, a twin-stick shooter with enemies and effects influenced by the beat of the BGM. i don't think it quite manages to pull it off though. The wideness of the playing field means you can keep the enemies largely off-screen, which is safe, but undercuts the conceit pretty badly. It's also just got the one stage going for it at the moment, and that's over in about two-and-a-half minutes. It's short enough to be worth the time investment, but i would've liked to have seen a little bit more. Hopefully Benji will continue to expand on this one.

Thanks, as always, for all the support and feedback, and have a great day!

Missing the post for 047 was just life being regular busy. i've got this narrow frame for getting it up on time, and if that passes, it's up to how shagged out i am in the following week, and that week was an awful lot.

Now last week, though, was pretty double-fudge crap. So... i've been operating under the assumption that i'd be going back to the US (a prospect that filled me with no small amount of dread) in August to get my paperwork done and have my name/gender legally recognized. There was a part of me that knew it wasn't going to be simple-simple, at least not as much as the NYS website let on, but... Well, anyway, i was talking with my folks that Sunday morning (my main day for recording), they've been doing some of the on-the-ground info gathering for me, since i'm basically for shite at finding things online. They'd been told by people at a support group that getting the doctor's form for the actual change could take up to a year of psychiatric consultations.

So, when i heard that, i pretty much BSoD'ed. i mean, the idea of being in the US for a couple of weeks had my anxiety bumpin' and jumpin', but a year? At least? It was all just a touch too much. Now, upshot, i vented on Twitter, because that's what one does anymore, and someone asked why i just didn't get it done over here. Which was a good question. The only real answer i have is that i figured it would need to be done in-state, since every state handles records and such differently. Turns out, though, thankfully, that this can be done through the Embassy. Yay! Which is in Tokyo. Umm...not entirely yay?

Now, i probably could get this done here in Osaka, we do have the consulate here; but the more i thought about it, the more i realized that about every support group and service for LGBTQIA folks is located in Tokyo. The English language info i've read usually lists recommendations for doctors...who are all in Tokyo, f'rex. So...me being me, and never seeing a bridge that i didn't just jump off (metaphorically speaking!), i decided i'd be moving to Tokyo. In May. June at the absolute latest, but really sooner is better as long as it's not April (when the rents jump to catch all the newcomers coming in for work).

That's not a lot of time to have to get a lot done in (and also save all the money i can lay hands on...which is not a strong suit for me). Still, the idea of actually moving forward, taking some real meatspace steps. It's good. Scary, but good. i wish i could get things going even more quickly, but that would take a financial standing orders-of-magnitude beyond where i'm at now.

So, that's where we are now.

Comment

Aaaaa....little bit late, but we've still got a sweet dream for Monday (which is actually Tuesday, but...time!).

This go about we're having a look at The Chamber by DihStyle69HipHop. It's a nice, largely minimalistic maze/story level. Some pretty cool and seamless effects going on, and an easy-to-project-yourself-into story. There are a few camera gimmicks that might be a bit much, but otherwise nothing to really complain about. Definitely worth the time investment, to me at least.

Had a surprise day off today, and it was mostly nice. i went out to see Knives Oot, it was really good. i mean, everyone probably knows that already, but i had a fun time with it. Was out during the daylight, clear blue sky and shunshine and all. That's...honestly a bit of a fifty-fifty kind of thing. i mean, it feels really nice to be out in my skin, but...i dunno, i feel like it's easier to fade out of notice at night? Like there's a tension to being on display? It's Japan, though, so if anyone had shite to say, they kept it to themselves.

Comment

i put this in the wrong thread! D'oh!

Ossu! Got another sweet dream coming up for y'all!

This go about we're having a look at Blade Gunner by Jimmyjules153, RigorousMortuus, and The_Tenia. You may have given this one a go already, it's been riding the front page on Dream Surfing for a bit. If you haven't, give it a couple of goes. It's a neat little sidescroller-in-a-bottle level, with some pretty fabulous visual presentation. Gameplay isn't particularly expansive, but it's fun enough to keep things moving, and it made me want to jump right back in when i died.

So...my body keeps waking up whenever it feels like, so that's a thing. i guess it's better early, than late, since i can get a few things done before work. Even still, 2.30a is kinda pushing things, i'd say.

Talked with mum and da on Sunday about the trip up to Tokyo, and they were really supportive. Like, moreso than i deserve, really. There's always this tension when you need help, but the help offered is more than you're comfortable taking? i'm not really in a position to say no, but i don't want my folks in the poorhouse on my account, right? Still, Knowing they have my back, and they think i'm doing the right thing means an awful lot. i can't imagine how hard it is for folx like me to have to push through all the crap society puts in front of us and be fighting their family at the same time.

Comment

Ossu! Got another sweet dream comin' up for y'all!

This go about we're having a look at The Pilgrim by narvikgutten and Majoneskongen. The too-long/didn't-watch is this one's a real solid one when it's going for exploring/platforming, but it falls down some when it comes to actual combat. Presentation is pretty solid on throughout, and the music choices are great. Still, i feel like it might be nice to move away from the free control camera. In this creation, we have examples of fixed/creator-controlled cameras and free/player-controlled cameras, and i really think the former comes out looking best in the end. This one's got an Mm heart of approval, so there's a good chance you've played already, but if you haven't, give it a go, aye?

Thanks, as always, for your support and feedback, and have a great day!

My three-day weekend is drawing to a close, and that pretty well sucks, let me tell you. Am not looking forward to another round of back-breaking labour, and schedule breaking traffic-jams.

Was invited to a recital by a former student of mine. 'twas fun...-ish. i've some trouble navigating social spaces with the completely normal. One nice thing about being...adjacent to more...subculture communities is no one gives you much of a second look no matter how you look. i got lots of second looks today and it was, less than comfortable (though, i must say, i was looking pretty noice). Plus, there was the added pressure of not wanting to do anything to make my former-student look bad. Still, once i got over the stress...damn, but she is a really good singer. i've so few chances recently to see live music, so it really means a lot to me that she popped for free tickets.

Comment

This go about we're having a look at Welcome to FRIENDBOT_LAND by Frostadoodle. The too-long/didn't-watch is this is a fun little survival horror creation with a nice look to it and some really good vocal work.i wish the episode outro could have been better, but i was really pressed for time, and after three or four takes, well, you work with what you got. Still, i had a lot of fun with the level, and y'all should give it a play or two, aye?

i really, really need to sleep.

Comment

Ossu! Got another sweet dream comin' at y'alls!

This go about we're having a look at Cocoa's Adventure by Dr_WhoData, Phreaky, Bella_Iris, PuddyDoke, and XdsmmatX. The too-long/didn't-watch is it's a largely solid platformer with some nice visual flair, but it gets dinged pretty hard by the free-control camera. Really, if there's one thing i'd love for the community to pick up on (aside from putting pronouns in your bio, seriously, help me be polite to you when i review your creations) it's using locked cameras in 3d platformers. The creation itself is pretty beefy, with an opening cutscene that runs almost 20minutes, and gameplay around 30~40min depending on how many times you die. And it's not even half-finished yet. i do like the ambition, though (because of my own time issues in meatspace) it makes me worry a little about how we're going to run the show in the future if everyone's aiming to do something this big and chunky. Anyhoot, give it a play if you haven't already, it is pretty fun. Also, Swamp Wizard's voice? Perfect.

Got the editing on this one done just under the wire (about 9.30ish). Now usually, i don't know if it's because of differences in filetypes or what, when i upload an episode i've done in ShareFactory, it goes super quick. Like a 10minute episode will take around 3minutes for YouTube to upload and process. Not last night, though. It took an hour just for the uploading, and i was. so. pissed. i hate, i hate missing deadlines. It just burns my kibble it does.

Comment

This go about we're looking at Cuberun 2 by radnfplim. The too-long/didn't-watch is it's pretty fun for what it is, but it's also pretty slight. Some nice background and lighting going on, though the platforms lack the visual flair seen in Cuberun. The action on hand is very zippy, and i could see this making a fun survival challenge/party game for folks. One thing, though, is i just wish there'd been music? The storm sound effects are cool, but... Anyhow, give this one a look, and see what you think!

Thanks, as always, for all the support and feedback!

Behind the curtains stuffs
                  Passed out at 9ish again last night. Then woke up this morning at 2. Whee! Someday my life will allow for some kind of normal-people sleep schedule, i swear. At least i've got some extra time to get stuff done, i suppose.

Comment

This go about we're having a look at shannon's unwanted electronics refuge and flower sanctuary <3 by thismousemodest. This is a weird little creation, serving as a bit of an epilogue/expansion to lost_cat. It's got an interesting, highly pixelated look to it; shannon seems like a fun character; and you've got a little old-school computer monitor that follows you around like a puppy. There's a neat turn-based fight at the end that could use a bit of refinement, but worked out pretty well. The down-side is it suffers from being set apart as a standalone creation. Without having gone through lost_cat first, there's not going to be much in the story that makes too much sense.

Now...it should be pointed out, that i well and truly buggered the takeaway section of the episode. i grabbed the red triangle, instead of the orange diamond i'd intended to give the level. i would have rerecorded the bit...except i didn't realize what i'd done until half-way through Sunday's stream, and it was way too late to redo (i'd have had to replay the level for PiPs too, since i'd deleted the B-Roll footage...go me!). So a serious apology to thismousemodest. i did record a correction episode as an addendum, but i'm still pretty cheesed i screwed up in the first place.

Thanks, as always, for all the feedback and support, and have a great day!

The Japanese gov't still hasn't really woken up to what's been going on with Covid-19 everywhere else, though there are rumblings that it's getting there. Abe announced that maaaaaybe the Olympics will be postponed. And that was only after Canada said, "um, look bud, we're not sending any athletes, 'kay? Thanks, you're a peach." On one hand, the public-health hand, we really ought to be taking far more serious preventative measures (although that ship has likely long since sailed, as far as curbing deaths), on the other, the personally-affecting-risuko hand, if the county goes large-scale lockdown, like we see in a lot of states in the US, well...that's me well buggered, isn't it? No job, and no real possibility of getting one, and stuck in an apartment that i can't really afford now. What savings (hah!) and the help my parents are sending will be eaten up tout-suite, and that's basically the ball-game, isn't it. The US gov't's talking checks to folx, but i don't know if that counts overseas residents, and i've heard nothing of nothing about support measures from the Japanese gov't. It wouldn't be stretching things to say i miiiight be a wee bit nervous.

Comment

Ossu! Late episode is late, because i am a trashfire! Whee!

This go about we're having a look at What Lies Below by DihStyle69HipHop. This is a very nice, very relaxing, super-chill exploratory creation, taking the player through some quite well done underwater cities. i do think it could use a bit more natural environment to better sell the feeling that this is underwater, and not in space; and a few QoL tweaks would help (like maybe a compass to help with getting lost when you're way out on the edge of the creation); but still, at the end of the day, a nice slow-paced, low stress creation like this was exactly what i needed. Give it a play, and see what you think.

Thanks, as always, for all the feedback and support, and have a great day!

So, i got technically fired from my job last week. i mean technically as in i'm still an employee, they're just not sending me to any jobsites. This wasn't as bad as it could have been, i'd already put in my notice to end...today, actually; so i'd had some money saved and my folks sent some too, because they're not stupid, and don't want to see me starve. Honestly, they're too good. Still, losing a full week of pay is...less than optimal, and...i've only been fired from 2jobs before, and one of those was a fired whilst walking out situation, so it doesn't really count. And...it just did my head in a bit. i frittered the last week mostly drinking and sleeping and not getting anything done i needed to. It's been a whole lot of self-loathing on top of the whole pile of stress that is the world in this day already. i'm starting to drag myself out of it, but i still don't know what the situation is going to be next month. The Japanese gov't is starting to go a little more serious on this, now that the Olympics is scuttled, but it's still a lot of ambivalent messaging. Like Gov. Koike up in Tokyo being like "could you all just stay home for the weekend?" Well, what about after the weekend? Have you seen trains in Tokyo? The Minister of Health (i think it was) hasn't. He said he commutes to work every day by train and they're not crowded. Which is either a bald-faced lie, or he has his own special train all to himself.

Today (or yesterday, depending on timezones) is the Trans Day of Visibility; it's been cool and comforting seeing folx putting their selves up and out on Twitter. Even with everything just being a total mess, it's nice knowing i'm not alone? i put up pix too, they're terrible, because i'm a trashfire.

Comment

Ossu! Got another sweet dream comin' up for y'all!

This go about we're having a look at THE HONEY HIVE by shookie_monster. It's a solid little work-in-progress creation with a really nice look to it, and some good, if simple, gameplay. i was told that it was meant to evoke shookie's oldskool LBP1 levels, and while i couldn't play those to compare, it definitely shares DNA with their LBP2 ones. i'm really looking forward to see this one expanded out (there's a "To Be Continued" sign at the end), and to see what other directions shookie goes in the future. This one's pretty new, so hop on it early and be one of the hip kids!

Hey everyone, do you know why i use they, them, and their(s) so often in my reviews? Well...here's the thing. i don't know y'all, or some of you i've met or talked to, but only in the distant past (which, with my memory, could be as far back as last week). So, i don't know if you're a guy, gal, or nb pal. i don't want to misgender anyone, and that means i use "they," because English doesn't really handle gender neutral for people very well. If you'd like me to be more precise when i'm looking at your level, pop your pronouns on your creator's page, and then i won't need to guess, or rely on my janky memory!

Thanks, as always, for the support and feedback, and have a great day!

Behind the Curtains Stuff
                        So...i had a friendship implode in the worst possible way yesterday. That's a fun little bit of extra stress that i really needed right now. Yup. Oh boy. Whee!

Comment

Ossu! Got another sweet dream up for y'all!

This go about we're looking at Purple People Eater (Dreams Edition) by Madzilla. It's an...ok minigame. Probably most solid in presentation, the environment is quite nice looking, and running it like an ongoing news story is pretty keen. The voice work is well done, and the writing relatively clever. The biggest issues are in gameplay. It just feels a little too slow-moving to really pull you back in after a run ends, but the game itself isn't robust enough to make for a full level. Still, it's fun enough for at least one good go at, so give it a shot.

Why can't i seem to get moving?

Comment

Ossu! Got another sweet dream comin up for y'all!

This go about we're having a look at Paper World by nesterr180. Those of you who've come into Dreams from LBP may recognize nesterr, they've been a fairly prolific creator there with about 30levels currently published, a few of which managed to net Level of the Day nods. Looks like they've decided to join us here in Dreams. Paper World is, honestly a bit of a slight early effort. It's not bad, but there's not a whole lot to write home about. Gameplay is solid enough, though the presentation (grey-white elements against a grey-white sky) does add a bit of needless difficulty, because it can make distance and height hard to gauge. i did like the hand drawn decorative aspect of it though. When you're done with Paper World you might want to check out another of nesterr's levels, Alex STAR. This one's an early WiP multi-stage platformer, with one element in particular to take note of, it has a fixed following camera that allows a good look at the game environment, but keeps things easy to parse when jumping. This is what i'm always harping on about.

Thanks, as always, for the feedback, and have a great day!

The trip to Tokyo fell though, and the Japanese gov't still doesn't know exactly what it's going to be doing with the stimulus checks. i'm probably going to have to get a job at the supermarket, because i'm just eating what little savings i've got right now. Working at a supermarket in the middle of a highly contagious plague...that feels super safe.

Comment

Working...
                            X