Gameplay thermo insights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gameplay thermo insights

In the course of a discussion over at DreamBubble.me a question came up: Does grouping affect the Gameplay thermo in Dreams? So I asked that question on twitter and it evolved into a larger discussion about the gameplay thermo in general. I do recommend reading the whole conversation, although following all he different replies can be a little difficult: https://twitter.com/LBPookachoo/stat...44300096020481

Here's a summary points covered:
    • The Gameplay thermo basically represents the number of Things in your level. Whatever you can select by pressing X in Assembly Mode counts as one Thing. Note that you can select individual gestures when scoped into a sculpt or painting, but you are editing within that Thing. Adding/cloning gestures while scoped in doesn't add to the Gameplay thermo, but it does add to the Graphics thermo because you're making that one Thing more complex.
    • When you make a group, that whole group can be selected as one, so the group itself - or the action of grouping, adds +1 to the total Thing count for your scene.
    • You can have over 10k things in a level, so making groups isn't going to have a major impact. However, you can optimize your grouping practices. If you've made a bunch of groups, and grouped those groups, and repeated that process; you could scope into your master group and ungroup those subs if it fits your purposes.
    • Going into more detail of the Gameplay thermo, beta version: besides the total Thing count, there are other limits. For example you can only have 10 doorways in a scene, and once you reach that limit, the thermo will say that it's at 100% - but it isn't really full, and you can still keep adding other Things that haven't yet hit a limit.
    • In the full game, the thermometers will contain more info. We don't yet have details on this, but it sounds like hitting limits for certain things like Doorways will trigger some sort of specific warning. In beta we saw this Hit a Limit warning with too many paintings in a scene.
    Join the DreamsVerse.com PS4 Community!
    find it through psn Pookachoo

Thermo is going to stress me out. I can see myself bloating a game with logic gadgets, sensors and graphics. Reports and tips on reducing thermo are going to be a top subject from the beginning to the end.

Comment

Keep in mind how easily you can link many Scenes to make one large Dream. Of course optimization will always be key to making the most of everything, but it’s also important to think of the Dream (which can have up 99 scenes, I think?) as the whole game/movie/experience which is made up of many scenes.

Comment

I agree. Strategic linking of scenes will be best, especially since you can have more than you'll ever use. Thermo sure got brought up a lot more than the number of possible scenes did though.

Comment

Yeah, and I did have trouble with one of my scenes maxing out the gameplay thermo. I couldn’t break it down into smaller scenes, it had to be one area (my garden, which was on one of the streams). The reason I had trouble was because at the time I didn’t really understand the thermo, and I learned a lot in the process of tryin to cram everything in :p

Comment

Interesting. Which stream was your scene in?

Comment

Originally posted by RGM Box View Post
              Interesting. Which stream was your scene in?
              It was the Global Game Jam stream

Comment

Was there any information on how data can be transferred between levels?

Comment

Working...
                X