About Texture Creating And Sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Texture Creating And Sharing

I thought I'd post this short exchange between myself and Marcos on Twitter:

1: https://twitter.com/marcoshealey/sta...04734045585413

2: https://twitter.com/marcoshealey/sta...11593130098689

It's not there at the moment but it appears it's something they're working on for the future.

Good, so it’ll possibly be a sticker, but with texture. Wonder if it’ll be UV compatible if so. Good sleuthing Gribble!!
    Whoa

Comment

Huh, wouldn't have thought about the sticker functionality like LBP where strokes wrap around when placed. That would speed things up a lot! Hope it gets implemented in the future, though it's not mandatory.

Comment

Making texture like stickers in LBP for the sky for example is something I use in LBP. I hope stickers like in LBP can be added.

Comment

Originally posted by mdkd99 View Post
          Making texture like stickers in LBP for the sky for example is something I use in LBP. I hope stickers like in LBP can be added.
          I feel it's a 'must have' considering there are no textures in Dreams. Of course anything that can be attached to a flat surface is already possible but we need to be able to create textures that auto wrap.

Comment

Wrapping textures can be difficult - not saying o can’t happen, but I’d be okay with that as an update later on
            In LBP stickers worked well on flat surfaces, and sometimes did okay on the front side of a curved surface, but wrapping over a fully 3D shape and looking good from all angles is more than what LBP could do.

Comment

I agree, but based off of what they say textures are in this game, they actually are closer to 3D objects. I think it will be easier for them to implement this than other things they've implemented, but I'd give them a few months to see it in the game after release.

Comment

If anyone in the beta could answer or try this....just wondering if you can layer different materials with varying degrees of transparency for a textural effect. I'm sure it probably takes extra thermo to overlap multiple instances of the same shape made of different mats but I'm just curious. It could be useful somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Whofan75 View Post
                  If anyone in the beta could answer or try this....just wondering if you can layer different materials with varying degrees of transparency for a textural effect. I'm sure it probably takes extra thermo to overlap multiple instances of the same shape made of different mats but I'm just curious. It could be useful somewhere.
                  You can't change the transparency of objects, only paint strokes. So you can paint strokes onto a surface to make textures.
                  You can overlap objects to make textures too by cutting away from one, and having the other one stick through the holes with a different colour/texture, but it's a lot more costly on the thermo.
                  - Formerly known as FlyingIrishMan

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post

You can't change the transparency of objects, only paint strokes. So you can paint strokes onto a surface to make textures.
                    You can overlap objects to make textures too by cutting away from one, and having the other one stick through the holes with a different colour/texture, but it's a lot more costly on the thermo.
                    Noted for the future. Thanks Billy.
                    Just to be clear, you can paint multiple layers onto an object with varying transparencies? Is there a limit on number of layers?

Comment

Originally posted by Whofan75 View Post

Noted for the future. Thanks Billy.
                      Just to be clear, you can paint multiple layers onto an object with varying transparencies? Is there a limit on number of layers?
                      Nope, as many layers as you want, and the paint strokes use extremely little thermo. They are the only thing that can have varying transparencies.
                      - Formerly known as FlyingIrishMan

Comment

Also you can “loosen” a solid object to the point that it becomes more like a cloud of particles - which are still opaque but you can see between them, useful for creating textures

Comment

Originally posted by Pookachoo View Post
                          Also you can “loosen” a solid object to the point that it becomes more like a cloud of particles - which are still opaque but you can see between them, useful for creating textures
                          A-ha! Cool! Have some plans for 3d sculpts so texturing is something I was definitely wondering about.

Thanks you two!

Comment

I want this, definitely. Mark's response is pretty similar to the response I've gotten for most requests, so they may not be working on it but it certainly sounds like they could. I would really like to be able to save certain textures for reuse. So many patterns are a real pain to duplicate. And there's always that weird issue that if you're using Surface Snap and over-draw, you get a stroke that flies off of the object you're intending to draw upon and maybe finishes far off into the distance on some other object.

On top of that, I'd genuinely like to have a few cleaner flecks (just solid flat squares or something) so that it makes creating solid lines with transparency a little easier. For instance, it's very difficult to make a bubble window right now. I like all of the hacks people have found with text displayers, etc., but it doesn't really help when you're trying to make a curved glass surface... If I could load up a grid texture or a "solid" fleck texture (a matrix of squares?), and wrap that around an invisible shape, we could get something closer. For now it's very fussy.

Comment

All the textures have that fussy and sketchy look, even the sky. More fleck types would be really useful + creating and saving your own flecks would be a cool thing if it's possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X