Projects inspired by?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects inspired by?

When Media Molecules Dreams is released a new exciting dreamisverse of dreams experiences will be created by talented folks already planning and storyboarding various projects
    . Some will be completely new creative visions, others will be inspired by or direct interpretations of existing works such as films, games, recordings, books etc.
    I wondered if any of the dreamers here have plans along these lines? To pay homage to a favourite game experience? To re-mix a favourite composed track? To give a new interpretation to a movie? To add a new chapter to a treasured book?
    Whenever I'm watching TV, browsing the internet or reading a new book quite often my thoughts now turn to consider if this would be great material for dreams.
    This upcoming PSVR game would be just the sort of original quirky dreams concept I'd hope to create.

Well for me, I'm hoping to recreate an experience along the lines of Death Stranding and Metal Gear Solid V, with a touch of the Uncharted 4 game too. :3

Going to be an epic game. Just a game, where you wonder about collecting artefacts and just taking in all of the wildlife. Really excited for when Dreams comes out. :>

Comment

I haven't decided whether I'm going to move my LBP projects over to Dreams yet or not. I have several ideas that I wanted to do in LBP, and even started several of them. A muppet themed level where Kermit is trying to outrun an attacking Mrs. Piggy, a "Defend the Castle" type game but with a picnic theme, a tractor pull level and an alien abduction level...with a twist ending. For dreams, I plan on a comic book styled level with an unusual superhero, and a Princess level. Yep. I used to tell my oldest daughter these bedtime stories with her as the main character, the princess and the adventures or misadventures she would get into. She always wanted me to make it in LBP so I think I'll make that in Dreams.

Comment

I think the main inspiration for my project is Super Smash Bros. Easy to pick up and play, and full of interesting characters to play as and stages to fight on.

Another inspiration is world mythology. I've taken several different mythologies and combined/remixed them to create my canon's lore.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougal View Post
          I think the main inspiration for my project is Super Smash Bros. Easy to pick up and play, and full of interesting characters to play as and stages to fight on.

Another inspiration is world mythology. I've taken several different mythologies and combined/remixed them to create my canon's lore.
          Yeah I was thinking a good smash clone could be a cool community collaboration. Split people up into teams of 2-3, and have each team make a character. With guidelines to try keep em balanced.

Personally I want to try mimmick some claymation style movies, most notably Isle of Dogs that was released recently enough. Something in that style.
          - Formerly known as FlyingIrishMan

Comment

Claymation style sounds really interesting and is something I don’t think I’ve seen in LBP. I look forward to seeing what you do with that!

Comment

Originally posted by Xerorogue View Post
              For dreams, I plan on a comic book styled level with an unusual superhero
              Fun fact : the first level I made in LBP (that was never published) was a comic book styled level with an oven as the super hero (because in french "Fantastic Four" sounds like "Fantastic Oven" and that made me laugh). The level was aweful, i'm glad I never published it

To answer the question, I had an idea for LBP that I never made (because it require a lot of writing and voice acting, and these are not my strongest skills). I still hope i'll be able to make it one day, maybe in Dreams. It's a Twilight zone inspired level, with classic opening and closing narrations, and with a short gameplay sequence as the actual episode.

Comment

Both of those ideas sound really good!

Comment

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the practice of creativity, and I'm kinda accepting that whatever idea I have now, I simply won't build this or that in Dreams. My mind and my own person will change with the days passing and by the time the game launches, I think I'll have a lot more new ideas that suit me better.

Lately, at LBP3 and artistically overall, I've been trying to finish the projects I started years ago. And doing this I didn't realize how I was stopping myself from creating new things just because I was insisting too much on that same project or idea. Not to say that I shouldn't finish the things I started, but I'm thinking that maybe I should go with the flow of the game and make whatever comes to my mind or whatever inspires me by the time I'm creating stuff.

I do have my personal projects going on, but I think I'll use dreams to regurgitate every bit of stupid (or not) idea I have - so the good ones can come.

(was this off topic? I'm not sure.....)

Comment

I been thinking of creating some sort of crazy futuristic racing game that based off of F-Zero, Wipeout (And no... It's not the stupid game show I'm talking about), and with a pinch of Star Fox. Maybe in the Dreams Beta, I could create about 3-5 tracks if possible and see where it would go from there.

There was another project that was going to be entirely based off of Camp Lazlo, Goosebumps, and Twisted Joruneys. But so far, I'm not sure what direction I should go with that project. Maybe a choose-your-own adventure style would do?

Comment

Originally posted by MrZigginator View Post
                      I been thinking of creating some sort of crazy futuristic racing game that based off of F-Zero, Wipeout (And no... It's not the stupid game show I'm talking about), and with a pinch of Star Fox. Maybe in the Dreams Beta, I could create about 3-5 tracks if possible and see where it would go from there.

There was another project that was going to be entirely based off of Camp Lazlo, Goosebumps, and Twisted Joruneys. But so far, I'm not sure what direction I should go with that project. Maybe a choose-your-own adventure style would do?
                      Funnily enough, a Wipeout-esque racing game certainly has crossed my mind once or twice before as well. It certainly sounds like a fun theme to stick with, and recreating that top-speed rush through detailed backgrounds does sound like an interesting challenge.

Best of luck to you, if you decide to go through with it!

Comment

Well I had this posted on Reddit, but things like this seemed to get less attention or buried quickly, so I figured this is a better place to post it.

I’ve been putting a lot of thought into remakes and
                        I’m currently doing up concepts for my idea

I planned to go in a Realistic darker, grittier, grungier, and more intense direction with classic nes games.
                        These will primarily be based on the very first titles offered from Nintendo with some later ideas mixed in along with huge inspiration drawn from today’s titles from different platforms

All likenesses and names would be altered significantly while still holding onto a bit of the original so the source is familiar but not a carbon copy to avoid copyright issues

Classic Game Remakes planned:
                        -Mario bros. with a dark soulish twisted atmosphere and a surreal Alice in wonderland rabbit hole kinda approach

-Mega Man with a more intense cybernetic atmosphere and deadlier obstacles and traps

-Metroid with a ALIEN movie feel and atmosphere and sick disturbing sci-fi creatures

-Zelda with a Skyrim or GOW atmosphere and a much more intense bloodier approach with more treacherous and dangerous exploring/battles

These are just a few I wanted to do if possible.
                        also had plans to take a more realistic approach with other classics from Atari ect

Comment

A Action RPG tower defence game inspired by Dungeon Defenders II. Love the game but gonna add my own touch to it.

Currently planning out the main features, enemies, characters, town etc so a lot of things.
                          Gonna get a good team together and even when the main game is done gonna work on releasing updates for the game.

So planing say, a 2 year project......

Comment

I might try actually creating my RPG-Platformer level that I started on every iteration of LBP since 2 that has changed drastically on each one. I think the iteration I've landed on for LBP3 is what I would try doing where it's a bit Jak and Daxter (1) esque in terms of level design, but it get more complicated later on.

The other idea I really want to try that I literally spent 2 seconds creating before I realized that LBP just can't do what I wanted was a RPG fantasy school simulation game where you go to classes and interact with students gradually unlocking the story as you progress. Plus I didn't really like how the gameplay changed in the school if it was 2d.

I also kind of want to play around with a short film script I had started a while back about an average boy who's life is being narrated by a whimsical devil. I had reread the short story that I wrote and based it off of back in highschool and college and chuckled quite a few times at the humor so I might revisit it. It's a bit of a dark comedy which is never received well (The Voices, insatiable, etc) but I love the genre.

Other than that, I want to do something with ghosts or spirits (not horror, but fantastical). I really want to see what kind of cool visual effects I could do.

Last but not least, there is a draft of a play that I have written that I would want to fake stage about Alex who visits Drew who was the first person he fell in love with to find out that Drew called Alex there right before Drew's wedding. This one would more be just to see how the play can look so I can finally finish the gosh darn thing. It's about 15 pages right now which is roughly the equivalent of 50 pages in novel form. Originally it was a comedy that its rough draft was 35 pages but that was more to get a plot. Once that was halfway done I realized how badly it needed to be changed to a drama.

edit: Also I recently remembered a level called trigger happy trap time from LBP that my friends and I never really got around to creating. It was done even less so than normal as it was more of a hangout kind of thing than actual creating. The level was meant for cross controller play where the vita controls traps on the ps3 and I would like to see if there is some way to incorporate the one player is the boss kind of gameplay.
                            Last edited by Koltonaugust; 17th November 2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X